LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do when you lose all they keys; is the dealer the only option?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018 | 08:06 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default What to do when you lose all they keys; is the dealer the only option?

First a couple of useful threads on similar topics:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...er-only-58856/
https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...y-51705/page3/

I had 1 key for my 2006 LR3, which I left on the hood of the truck sitting next to it (a family members vehicle) while I was working on it, which drove away. So I thought "not a huge issue, I can program a key myself with my IID tool," bought two keys off of ebay, paid a locksmith to cut them based on my vehicles lock. Then I actually read the programming procedure and realized that I need to start the vehicle in order to program the keys, which is a problem as I don't have any working keys. After calling around I have found noone in the area who is confident they can program a new key without existing key. There is a dealer about 15min away, but they are so busy they will not even look at the car for 3 weeks. There is another dealer who can look at if early next week, but I would need to get the car towed ~30 miles and pay them for 1.5hours of work at $168/hr.

So I have several questions:

1. I bought my keys through amazon for like $15 a piece: can anyone confirm that these keys at lease have a chance of working once programmed? From my research it seems like some said it was impossible while others said it does work.

2. Since the car needs to be started to program the keys with the IID tool, is there any way to start the engine without the key? I know it's a long shot but...

3. Are there any key programming tools out there know to work with an LR3 that has no working keys present?

4. If the dealer tools are the only option, has anyone ever purchased one through ebay? There seem to be several on there, 2 in the UK for about $400.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-22-2018 | 08:31 PM
Baja

Buy a dealer key and use the GAP tool to code it. Cheapest/best option. You can only code refurbished remotes and aftermarket when you have one working key.

Old 10-22-2018 | 08:33 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by abran
Buy a dealer key and use the GAP tool to code it. Cheapest/best option. You can only code refurbished remotes and aftermarket when you have one working key.
I am happy to do that if that will work but I don't understand how it can since I need to be able to start the car to program keys, and the dealer key, from my understanding, won't start the car unless it is programmed

Old 10-22-2018 | 09:29 PM
Camel Trophy

Do those $15 keys even have electronics inside? None of the cheap ones I found do. The lest expensive ones being "refurbished" units. They put a blank key and new shell on an old/deprogramed key so it can be reprogramed to work. Those cost about $80 if I recall.

Old 10-22-2018 | 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

If you found one that is complete with the guts for $15 I would be interested in a link to that.

Old 10-22-2018 | 10:51 PM
Mudding

Just some thoughts...
A local to me auto locksmith quoted me $450 -ish to program and cut a key for a MKIII Range Rover, so it can be done. I would expect the LR3 would be about the same.
Is there an auto auction (eg: Manheim) near you? You could call them and ask who they use to program and cut keys. It's pretty common to have a guy on the lot that makes keys for auction cars without them...
Another option would be to buy an ecu "set" off ebay. You'd need the fob, engine ecu, remote receiver and immobilizer all from the same donor vehicle. You may need the inside fuse box also. Some have them with the set, some don't.
What's the current rate on ordering a new key/fob cut and programmed to your vehicle from Land Rover? Only useful if it is the original transponder code? May not work if previous owner cloned new fobs to the truck? I understand that the GAP tool changes the code when cloning including the original key. Not 100% sure about this.
$15.00 Amazon key fob? Almost zero chance it's gonna program. I think the replacement covers are about that much, aren't they? I did find remote on ebay that I was able to clone and it works fine, but has no battery charging circuity. So now after 9 months of light use, the battery is almost dead...

Old 10-23-2018 | 06:56 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by 5280LR3
Just some thoughts...
A local to me auto locksmith quoted me $450 -ish to program and cut a key for a MKIII Range Rover, so it can be done. I would expect the LR3 would be about the same.
Is there an auto auction (eg: Manheim) near you? You could call them and ask who they use to program and cut keys. It's pretty common to have a guy on the lot that makes keys for auction cars without them...
Another option would be to buy an ecu "set" off ebay. You'd need the fob, engine ecu, remote receiver and immobilizer all from the same donor vehicle. You may need the inside fuse box also. Some have them with the set, some don't.
What's the current rate on ordering a new key/fob cut and programmed to your vehicle from Land Rover? Only useful if it is the original transponder code? May not work if previous owner cloned new fobs to the truck? I understand that the GAP tool changes the code when cloning including the original key. Not 100% sure about this.
$15.00 Amazon key fob? Almost zero chance it's gonna program. I think the replacement covers are about that much, aren't they? I did find remote on ebay that I was able to clone and it works fine, but has no battery charging circuity. So now after 9 months of light use, the battery is almost dead...
buying a used set won’t work.

the best you could do would be an ignition and door handle, with a key blade that works, then program new dealer remote.

also, not sure about the term cloning. When you add an additional key, the vehicle recognizes that as a separate key, not a clone of the original.

the reason you need to buy a dealer key when the others are lost if for security reasons.

Last edited by abran; 10-23-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-23-2018 | 07:03 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by kenneypj1
I am happy to do that if that will work but I don't understand how it can since I need to be able to start the car to program keys, and the dealer key, from my understanding, won't start the car unless it is programmed

Let me explain. I code keys for a living on Land Rovers, so I know what I am talking about, I’m not just guessing, I’ve done this exact process many times.

The vehicle does not need to be started to code a key. You just need to turn the ignition to position 2.

The only wildcard is that I use an Autologic to code the remotes, not the GAP. In my experience the software in Autologic and GAP function the same, just a different hardware package.

if you want to be 1000% sure, email GAP and ask them if you can code a brand new Dealer key when no other key is present.

DO NOT try swapping ECUs etc. it won’t work and will cause more problems.

The following users liked this post:
Mrbuttchin (03-10-2019)
Old 10-23-2018 | 10:58 AM
Camel Trophy

It's futile to argue with Abran....

Old 10-23-2018 | 04:45 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by abran

Let me explain. I code keys for a living on Land Rovers, so I know what I am talking about, I’m not just guessing, I’ve done this exact process many times.

The vehicle does not need to be started to code a key. You just need to turn the ignition to position 2.

The only wildcard is that I use an Autologic to code the remotes, not the GAP. In my experience the software in Autologic and GAP function the same, just a different hardware package.

if you want to be 1000% sure, email GAP and ask them if you can code a brand new Dealer key when no other key is present.

DO NOT try swapping ECUs etc. it won’t work and will cause more problems.
Okay, so I tried to program the key again. When it prompted me to start the engine, I held the key in the start position and it let me continue with the process, all the way to confirming that the key was programmed. So it appears that you may be correct, that I could program a genuine Land Rover key. I put in an inquiry with GAP to see if they say it is possible.Their manual does say that a working key must be present for the LR3, but hopefully that is incorrect. Either way it looks like I'll be ordering a key through the dealer.

Does the Autologic prompt you to start the engine when coding a key or no?

Thanks, Paul

Quick Reply: What to do when you lose all they keys; is the dealer the only option?