LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do when you lose all they keys; is the dealer the only option?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 04:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abran
No, It just says key programming complete. Sometimes I have to erase a code for immobilizer after as usually the vehicle is not happy when unlocking the door with the dealer cut key. But it always works.
So i contacted GAP last week and they confirmed that the IID tool cannot code a key without a working key present. I ordered a key through the dealer ($300+tax) and confirmed this with my key and tool.

So it leaves me at needing the key mated to the car. What model Autologic tool do you have? Is there any special license you have to allow it to work on these cars? My only options as I see it are to have it towed to the dealer (which I do have an appointment set up for) or to find someone with the same tool you have.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:07 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

A blue box or assist plus can do it as long as it has the Land Rover software on it.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:54 PM
Three Wheeling

A blue box or assist plus can do it as long as it has the Land Rover software on it.
How long does it take you to to program a key with this tool and should I expect someone who hasn't programmed one before to be significantly slower? I found a shop near me who has one but they started by quoting me 1 hours work at $120/hr plus a $40 fee to use the tool. Said they would pass on the savings if it took less time, but I would like to know what to expect. Thanks, for the information!

Old 11-01-2018, 04:05 PM
Baja

after the tool is hooked up, takes less than 5 minutes. Start to finish would be 15 min max.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:40 PM
Three Wheeling

after the tool is hooked up, takes less than 5 minutes. Start to finish would be 15 min max.
Thank you for your help!

Got it towed to the shop last night and they had it done in about 15min. Charged me $60 to do it including the $45 Autologic fee, which I am pleased with. Just programmed the other two $15 dollar keys and they both work! I understand the batteries probably won't last, but as long as they start the car I am happy. The chip has nothing to do with the battery if my understanding is correct.

Now the problem is that none of the keys work as a remote. The guy who programmed they key said that he could not get it to work either. Any suggestions? I tried programming the keys all a second time, but it made no difference.

To anyone who loses all their keys and doesn't want the dealer to program the new key for them: the GAP IID tool will NOT work unless you have a working key. CALL AUTOLOGIC. They were very helpful and put me through to the local sales rep who located the shop for me. It's a bit easier than calling all the shops in the area.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:35 PM
Baja

If the keyless entry doesn't work, its probably because you bought 433MHz, or just crappy aftermarket remotes.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:45 PM
Three Wheeling

If the keyless entry doesn't work, its probably because you bought 433MHz, or just crappy aftermarket remotes.
no, the factory remote from Land Rover doesn’t work. Now that I think about it the key I lost also wasn’t working as a remote, but I thought it was just a dead battery

Old 11-02-2018, 07:18 PM
Baja

Time to repair that infamous splice in your passenger door sill.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:34 PM
Three Wheeling

Time to repair that infamous splice in your passenger door sill.
You were correct. Re-did some connections and now all three remotes are working. Thanks!

Old 11-07-2019, 08:43 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any way to use GAP tool by own without hiring a dealer or locksmith.

Quick Reply: What to do when you lose all they keys; is the dealer the only option?