LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel caps don't fit wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 05:13 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel caps don't fit wheels

I bought new wheel caps for my 06 LR3, and when I put them in, they don't fit (yes, they're after market). Except for one, which snapped in, but not flush, but raised. I then realized this wheel, unlike the other three, has a raised lip for the cap, not an inset lip. So I'm really confused! The previous owner claimed these are OEM wheels--is there a way to tell? How could one wheel be built different from the others? Why do the after-market wheel caps slip out--any good fix for this? I measured the clips, and they seem fairly precise.

Is there a good place to get black wheel caps?

The top-left is the one wheel with a raised lip; versus the other three like the bottom with an inset lip. The lower ones don't fit well, and want to fall out.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

For one, a photo that shows the whole wheel would help

Two, the dimples you see near the lug nuts in your photos, they don't exist on any OEM wheel I have seen, I can see from the top left photo that at least one of your wheels is the OEM 10-spoke. Not sure what to tell you, it looks like several of yours are aftermarket.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:41 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DavC
For one, a photo that shows the whole wheel would help
There's just no making you happy. I'll upload a full photo when I get home in a bit.

Re: dimples, well that's a good point I hadn't noticed, only the one different wheel doesn't have the dimples. Darn, lied to.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:43 PM
Drifting

Here are the wheels from farther back--as as the original photo had. I can take more tomorrow if 100% of the wheel helps.

The left is one of the three that has dimples. The right the one that doesn't, and fits "better" (if tight, but not flushed is better?).

Old 04-08-2016, 10:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Huh, I may have to retract my earlier comment. Do you have 20" wheels? I located a few google images similar to yours that appear to be LR wheels, but since you have non-stock wheels I can't give you a definitive answer.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:57 PM
Drifting

Thanks, @DavC, yes, they're 20-inch.

Mind sharing a few of the links to those images (or pages)? I've been googling myself, but haven't found them yet.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:37 AM
Drifting

After googling high and low, I'm pretty confident these are aftermarket, but there's no way to likely tell without taking the tires off and looking on the backside of the spokes. I'm due for an oil change and tire rotation soon--will have the shop look at this for me.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:06 PM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Aren't those machined Stormers? They are available from aftermarket OEM-look wheel companies. They may have been available on different LR models (RRS probably), but are not OEM for the LR3.

Note the dimples on this aftermarket Stormer:
Amazon.com: 20-inch Fits Land Rover - Range Rover Aftermarket Wheel - Hyper Silver 20x9.5: Automotive Amazon.com: 20-inch Fits Land Rover - Range Rover Aftermarket Wheel - Hyper Silver 20x9.5: Automotive

Most likely you have 3 aftermarket and one genuine.

Last edited by djkronik57; 04-13-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:00 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the link--those definitely look similar. I contacted the seller (OE Wheels LLC) to see if they know where to find a matching aftermarket replacement.

I wish I could find more of the genuine wheels. If I had the cash, I'd pick up this set and call it a day:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-NEW-RANGE...-/272030121141

Last edited by scader; 04-23-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Cromodora brand from Italy

Generally the official Land Rover wheels are manufactured by Cromodora of Italy.

The one wheel you think is genuine should have the Cromodora name molded into the backside of one of the spokes; also on one of the other spokes may be a Land Rover or Range Rover factory trademark.

The pictured wheels are from the rear of one of my factory 19" six spoke and the other, a factory 18" ten spoke.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - LR3 miscellaneous/Cromodora brand marking on inside of spoke.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - LR3 miscellaneous

Attached Thumbnails Wheel caps don't fit wheels-cromodora-brand-name-inside-6-spoke-19-inch.jpg   Wheel caps don't fit wheels-cromodora-land-rover-rcc500250xxx-wheel-part-number-10-spoke.jpg  

Quick Reply: Wheel caps don't fit wheels