LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrangler to LR3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 06:10 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrangler to LR3?

I am looking to trade my 2009 Wrangler JKU for a similarly configured Landrover LR3. I have been reading this forum for the past few weeks and haven't seen anything about converting to the Landrover faith so a little guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you ahead of time for the advice.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:46 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently made the change from an 07 JK to an LR3. I haven't been happier. I never truly off roaded in either but as an SUV, the Rover wins hands down. The biggest plus for me is the towing capacity of the LR vs the Jeep. It's comfy, rides great and looks decent to me. Gas mileage is horrible but the Jeep wasn't much better even though it was a V6 vs my V8 now. Sure they can be finicky but they are fairly easy to wrench on.

Bottom line, I would never go back to a Jeep as I am now spoiled by the LR3.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 459 Likes on 410 Posts

To me the JK and the LR3 are apples and oranges, so getting an LR3 "similarly configured" will be impossible. The Wrangler is more built for one purpose while the LR3 is more of an all-around 4x4.

In my opinion the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is more capable off-road than the LR3. I hate saying that, but it's true. Few vehicles are, IMO, but the Rubi is. That said, I can drive across the country, comfortably, in my LR3, then fold the second row flat and sleep comfortably on an air matress in the back. I'm 6' tall and I can do that easily. Also, I can carry $hit! Lots of $hit....and it's way more comfy and luxurious to drive. As for that off-road capability, I wasn't talking about a TON more capability because the LR3 will amaze you in that department as well.

I don't know....go drive one. I can't tell you what your own taste is.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default LR3 is definitely not a Jeep.

It is hard to say what an LR3 is, except perhaps trouble. In spite of that, for the right person, I guess the trouble is thought to be worth it.

A Jeep is capable, rarely needs fixing, and if so, easy and cheap to repair. Parts and the skills set are everywhere but there is something about the LR that seems to have a perverse appeal.

It puzzles me why rich guys and government high up types seem to gravitate to them as what would they know.

I think a Tahoe is probably better than a 3 in that you can armor them as well, (Jeeps not so well), and big guys ride in the Tahoe/Suburban all the time, but it seems Royalty and Statesmen choose the 3 in spite of the Chev's making more sense.

I am reading this fiction SEAL team paperback right now and the SEALS are even driving a B6 armoured Land Rover as they consider it is the best for bashing into things and still driving away - fiction of course, I remind you, but it puzzles me why the author chose a 3 and not a GWagon.

I recall a Bond movie of a few years back where everyone seemed to be driving a Land Rover product. The bad guys had a Defender and the boss lady, a Jaguar sedan; the cops had the 3's with lots of yellow reflective tape and James, I forget now but maybe a FFRR. I think however LR probably paid them big bucks or BMW and Aston Martin were too cheap to participate.

I think even that Laura/Angelina girl drove a Defender; it seems the Jeep remains some kind of Dinosaur transportation. I guess therein tells a story.

Check the reflection in the door of the Tomb Raider; I wonder what vehicle it is?

Attached Thumbnails Wrangler to LR3?-angelina-jolie-lara-croft-tomb-raider-defender-wp2_2.jpg  
Old 07-24-2014, 09:28 AM
Camel Trophy

The reflection looks like a FFRR to me. Angelina was extremely hot in that movie; LR3s are way better than Tahoes, but to your point the Tahoe would be more suited to driving officials around.

...totally agree with the perverse attraction to the LR3 as the go anywhere, do anything 4x4 of choice. Mine is a real pain in the a$$ but I love it to death and would never part with it willingly.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Go to my thread there is a video link to our rausch creek trip last weekend, one guy in the group had a stock lr3 he did everything we did even a few black trails on the rocks I am extremely impressed

His had the off road traction selector, now my wife wants one for her daily driver

Old 07-24-2014, 01:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

It's nice, but I don't want to go through 13 pages of posts to find it. Who did your fabrication work, I have a project in mind for an LR3 and

I noticed your fabrication work, I need someone that can fiddle with Stainless or at least produce a steel prototype, with hand drawings, verbal instruction and a few pictures.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:27 PM
Camel Trophy

Tom...wtf is an "off road traction selector?"

Old 07-24-2014, 10:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default On Road Traction Selector?

I think it is the same as the On Road Traction Selector. At least that is what I regard the round **** in the centre console on my 3; to keep me on the road - that is difficult enough in the winter and why I bought my 3.

This off road stuff, I want to be paid to go there, no pay, no go!

Old 07-25-2014, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Big round **** on the console sorry I do not know the proper name, selects snow sand mud and rock crawl?

Quick Reply: Wrangler to LR3?