LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrangler to LR3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 08:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bbyer
I think it is the same as the On Road Traction Selector. At least that is what I regard the round **** in the centre console on my 3; to keep me on the road - that is difficult enough in the winter and why I bought my 3.

This off road stuff, I want to be paid to go there, no pay, no go!
No we've got to get you started, can you find a gravel road or parking lot somewhere to get you started.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:02 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize that the two are very different from one another but they are both from the same category. I wanted to indicate my starting point. I do have some expectations for it to compare to the capabilities of my Wrangler but do like the additional levels of comfort (or should I sayy wife does) and an additional two seats. I appreciate those being honest about what to expect. I am a moderately capable mechanic with the plan to include a dual post automotive lift to address the possible needed repairs. The Jeep is undoubtedly one of the most (if not the most) aftermarket supported vehicle. I assume the popularity of the LR3 will ensure a similar aftermarket support but I prefer hearing that from those who already know. The Jeep is also easy enough to fabricate parts for, how about the LR3? Again, thank you to those who have responded and will respond.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Terrain Response Control Switch

I got the Owners Manual out and I see the round **** thingy is trademarked as a Terrain Response Control Switch.

Interesting that one would mention the Ice and Snow setting, while I remain mostly on the normal setting, the Ice and Snow is probably my favorite. I think I like it as it closely emulates a typical American pickup or in the past, your typical full sized front engine rear wheel drive 4 door American sedan. My previous vehicle was a 92 Buick Roadmaster with the 350 V8. I put 400,000 miles on it, maintenance was about $2,000 a year max and with the rear air shocks, was like riding on a cloud - plus it was a good mudder.

As to finding a gravel parking lot, the MacDonald's do gravel their drive thrus and parking area, but is a bit small.

We do have some pavement in front of the Government buildings and where the rich people live but it resembles Swiss Cheese. A few years back I did drive the New Jersey turnpike. I was amazed at how pillow smooth mile after mile of pavement can be. I think it will be a long time before we even play catchup here. The streets of New York are how I imagine Heaven to be.

While I appreciate the sentiment expressed in the previous post, off road up here, I have to think about that - as I said, just staying on the road is challenge enough..

The oil companies up here do pay you well to drive off road but the deal is you have to bring it back each day still in running condition so you can do it again tomorrow and tomorrow and .. well you get the idea - not so easy actually.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:17 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I came from a Chevy family gone Jeep. We had a wrangler and I drove a Commander before I got married. Father in-law now drives a Rubicon. I would agree that they are two different beasts. However Id contend that the capability is similar. The LR will go anywhere that Wrangler will. However I age an extra year or two every time something abnormal happens with the LR. Expecting big $$$$ repairs, none so far. Never had that with a Jeep. So there is a bullet proof mentality that comes with a Wrangler. If you can get past that I think you will be pleased with the LR3. Its capable, comfortable, and downright sexy. It can be sophisticated yet rugged. Not many cars like that. Its a better family car for sure. Safer, and I think better on gas. I know people here complain about their mpg with the LR3 but we average 20 city and 25 hwy when we drive conservatively. That's great for a car this size. Id say you will enjoy the comfort, power and capability of the LR3, but miss the peace of mind that comes with owning a Jeep. That really is the only thing I miss about mine.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 459 Likes on 410 Posts

The aftermarket for the LR3 pales in comparison to the Jeep and the custom fab would be more difficult and hence more expensive. I don't know about the Wrangler being bulletproof as opposed to simply being "relatively cheap to fix." In my opinion, my LR3 feels "bulletproof" considering how over-designed and over-built it is. It's just a more expensive play-toy is all.

It has been very dependable, to me. I mean it has needed care and feeding over 9+ years but has never left me stranded, and that includes a 1600 mile trek home from Whitehorse, Yukon....in March which still saw -17F overnight.

Also, the LR3 is every bit as off-road capable as the Wrangler....but the Wrangler Rubicon is probably 5-10% more capable.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

From here, https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-disco1-57534/ It looked like you'd built a winch tray. So I was asking.

I noticed your fabrication work, I need someone that can fiddle with Stainless or at least produce a steel prototype, with hand drawings, verbal instruction and a few pictures.

Last edited by unseenone; 07-25-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I used to do more Fab just barely have time for mine now sorry

Old 07-31-2014, 07:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by bbyer
My previous vehicle was a 92 Buick Roadmaster with the 350 V8. I put 400,000 miles on it, maintenance was about $2,000 a year max and with the rear air shocks, was like riding on a cloud - plus it was a good mudder.
I have a neighbor who owned the exact same car. He was very sad to finally have to get rid of it last year, but at least he sold it to somebody down the street, so he still gets to admire it from time to time.

The following users liked this post:
bbyer (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 08:16 AM
Mudding
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

The BIGGEST difference between the LR3 and the Jeep is the current market. You can pick up a solid 2008/09 LR3 HSE for $12-18K that will be loaded with options, yet can barely get into a decent Jeep of the same year at those prices.
I have had both… And can tell you that the LR3 far outweighs the jeep in comfort, is an awesome highway car, a great tow vehicle, loves the bad weather and to be biting into just about any off-road surface. It is an all round winner... Maybe the only thing I miss is the top off!

Old 10-09-2019, 11:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default LR3 is a good sand machine

My view is the LR3 is a good sand machine but stay away from mud.

Air suspension is the real game changer re the 3 but when it quits in mud and falls to the stops, the wheel wells are too small and the 3 takes on the characteristics of a dead skid steer Bobcat - with the hydraulic drive gone in the Bobcat, nothing turns and it is a lump of iron that has to be dragged out of where ever. The 3 is the same, but closer to a lump of aluminum when all the wheel wells are filled with mud and the tyres will not turn.

The new Defender is going to be the same - good dry conditions vehicle but stay away from mud. As to the fording bit, I guess if nothing electrical short circuits, and the river bed is gravel or hard sand, it will be fine.

The reality is most of the world is dry; for mud, you need rain, and that is not so common, hence the a 3 is a good world vehicle - comfortable and capable.

The coil spring Defender will be an expensive to maintain comfortable Jeep; the air suspension Defender, as with the 3, an expensive to maintain but comfortable go most places trail conveyance.

Quick Reply: Wrangler to LR3?