LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes another EAS thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 09:32 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes another EAS thread

I'm new to the Landrover world, with a 2007 LR3 2.7D.
When purchased, it had a EAS fault with a rear suspension sensor, which I then replaced.
I purchased the IID gap BT device and calibrated the suspension, 466 mm front and 485 mm rear.
The faults are gone and all seems fine until I move the suspension switch. When I push it forward, the dash reads extended suspension mode, vehicles rises etc etc.
When I push it rearwards, the dash reads normal suspension mode.

BUT the up arrow on the button illuminates and immediately reverts to showing extended mode and starts rising the vehicle again, the cycle continues over and over whenever I try to go down to "normal" mode.

The solution of sorts is take it for a drive. The dash then shows suspension fault, 30 mph etc etc.
I stop the vehicle and restart the engine and the suspension fault goes away and the suspension switch indicator stays in the middle and it drives away with no more faults until the suspension switch is operated again.

Any ideas or am I doing something dumb as I am a Landrover novice.
Thanks

Old 08-16-2019, 11:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

You may have a clogged dryer on the compressor or faulty exhaust port on the compressor. Usually the system expects the vehicle to lower at some specified rate when venting down. If it detects that there is something preventing lowering or lowering too slow it assumes you are hung up on something and this is the only time you enter extended mode (you can not enter extended manually with the switch, only off-road height). So when it does lower, how fast does it seem? It should drop from off-road to normal within 2 seconds.

The following users liked this post:
Zimmer (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 03:03 PM
4th Gear

Thanks m8, I think I may have sent you on the wrong track with my poor information.
Rather than deflation being the issue, I think it may be inflation.
In "normal" mode, when I push the suspension switch forward, the dash shows "off road" but then it goes straight to showing that it's in "extended mode". This is before I try to return to "normal" mode.

An hour ago, I deflated all bags with the gap id tool, then I went and calibrated the suspension.Set the 466 mm front and 485 mm rear. Locked the vehicle and took away the key.When I returned two hours later the vehicle has risen all round.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:06 PM
Camel Trophy

Well I am not sure how the GAP does calibration, but on the system I have the numbers are relative and do not reflect actual measurements. To calibrate you can only do so by physically measuring them adjusting the numbers for each sensor. Which also means that none of the sensors share the same values - close, yes - but not the same. For example, my passenger rear is 50 values different than the driver rear. If you are just punching in numbers that could easily be the issue too.

The following users liked this post:
Zimmer (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 03:10 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Well I am not sure how the GAP does calibration, but on the system I have the numbers are relative and do not reflect actual measurements. To calibrate you can only do so by physically measuring them adjusting the numbers for each sensor. Which also means that none of the sensors share the same values - close, yes - but not the same. For example, my passenger rear is 50 values different than the driver rear. If you are just punching in numbers that could easily be the issue too.
The Gap id tool shows an up and down arrow on the ipad. I measure from the wheel centre to the arch and use up down arrows until I reach 466 mm on the fronts and 485 mm on the rear. It shows the order to do each wheel.
I just click complete, there is no punching in numbers at all.

Generic screenshot from the net showing the general idea.

Last edited by Zimmer; 08-16-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:13 PM
Camel Trophy

Okay, you are good that way. Then I can only think it may be a venting issue so it thinks you are hung up and goes into extended mode.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:41 PM
Winching
Received 115 Likes on 104 Posts

Are you sure the ride height switch is working properly? I can't recall where, but the GAP Tool does show the switch function in real time (live values?)

Make sure it is doing what it should be doing.

Jeff