LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 LR4 that’s been sitting

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 09:11 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2010 LR4 that’s been sitting

I am considering buying a 2010 LR4 that has been sitting for approximately 2 years and was wondering what you guys think I could be getting my self into. I have owned a discovery 1, discovery 2 and currently own a LR3. The seller states that he stopped driving it because he started working from home because of Covid and it needed new brakes and rear suspension parts but he didn’t know what it was. He ended up buying an audi so he said he just left the rover. It has approximately 125k miles and he stated around 6 months before it was parked the timing chain, the drive for the high pressure fuel pump and the steering shaft were all replaced. I’m assuming it’s going to need brakes all around as well as brake lines (due to being in NY), new control arms, hoses and belts, as well as new fluids. He put it on the charger for around an hour and it started right up to my surprise. The suspension compressor kicked on and the vehicle raised to ride height. Am I crazy for considering this, what do you guys think I should look for or expect to repair?

Old 09-06-2022, 02:47 AM
Mudding
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

If the price is right go for it. It doesn’t sound like a hopeless case. 🙈😎🥳

Brake pads themselves are relatively cheap. So are the disks. If you replace disks, do replace the brake shoes for the EPB and ALL the small parts. Look at Bodsy’s brake bible (Google it) for instructions.

Brake hoses are normally replaced at latest every 6 years (at least according to Europe maintenance schedules) for D3/D4. You can get stainless steel braided hoses from HEL if you don’t want the regular ones. If you’re replacing the hoses you might want to take a critical look at the brake pipes, too. They can be replaced relatively easily until the joint in front of the vehicle where they disappear under shields. I read between the lines that they use liberal amounts of salt in NY state. Don’t get the LR replacement pipes - it’s the same metal and they’ll just rust again.

Even if the battery made it work after getting charged you might want to change to a brand new AGM one. Oil, oil filter, etc. are useful to change, too.

As for suspension….. without knowing the error or having a better description of what was the cause it could be almost anything. For example, vehicle goes nicely to rise height. But does it sink overnight? Etc.