LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 LR4 runs but no displays, hvac, speedo, radio, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 09:44 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 LR4 runs but no displays, hvac, speedo, radio, etc.

Where I am at:
2011 LR4 HSE will start, run and drive without issue but only if I start using backup key fob positioning under steering column BUT with no displays -, no audio control, no hvac, no speedo/tac, no clock, no RF remote locking/starting. Both instrument cluster and touchscreen and blank, although the instrument cluster will display "engine on" and "lights on" (no LR4 image, no temp, gas date or gear display) That's it.

Vehicle drove flawlessly for 90 minutes on a 90 plus degree sunny day with AC on. Literally got to destination driveway when everything started failing. First fault was tire pressure monitoring system . After that, the hvac turned off and would not turn back on and both the instrument cluster and touchscreen went blank. Car still running fine. Parked but it would not start back up. Floors on both side of the vehicle with lots of water.

Changed the battery on the FOB and managed to get it started after many attempts using backup key positioning under steering column. Got the car home [with no displays] changed the main battery (which was reading between 7v and 9v and no change. Removed and checked every fuse in both central and engine junction boxes. Tore into the floor, vacuumed and dried up all the water over the last week thanks to these hot Mass days. Cleaned all four roof drains. Found HVAC drains in footwells of both sides clogged with small pieces of foam (mice). Cleaned out both. Given how dry it has been, I suspect AC condensation drains failure is where the water inside came from.

Started pulling off every panel possible. Found two mice nests. One inside the center console above the trans linkage cable. Another inside the rear side plastic area above the passenger wheel well where the satellite hardware resides. Other than what resides under the seats, all wiring looms inspected with no noticeable wire damage anywhere. Removed and cleaned all noticeable grounds on the floor.

original owner with just over 100K miles and no electrical issues up until now. Trying to avoid bringing this to the dealer but suspect I need to as i do not have a way to diagnose electrical (i.e., CAN-bus) other than with a multi-meter and disconnecting devices as I find them. Have read everything online and do not see anything similar.

So, what common component could be at fault here? Would an Enging or Central Junction Box fail in such a way that some circuits work but others do not?

Again, car runs once started and many things (e.g, air suspension, 4WD modes, lights, directionals, windows, etc all work fine). Just no displays or controls related to center stack.

Anyone?