LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Needs new engine dealer says 8k

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 06:40 PM
Dot
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Needs new engine dealer says 8k

Hi! Newb here. I have a 2012 lr4 that the dealership says engine needs to be replaced. The engine was struggling getting louder and louder til it finally cut off while I was going down my driveway. I’m the second owner . Bought for 8500 off someone. I knew it would need sum work bc the engine was loud back then. Anyway the dealer said that it’s a big job to do and costly and suggested going to a outside mechanic for cheaper. Started calling different places to get prices but the prices was the same as the dealer. Only thing is it seems cheaper by the dealer. I’m not sure why the dealer would say go elsewhere. Spoke to a outside shop in particular that said a brand new engine will be around 23k. He said that the dealership is probably not putting in a NEW engine but a block(????) for the price they’re giving me. I don’t know what that is. He said that the price given by the dealer is probably not including labor amongst other things. Called the dealer back with a few more questions at that point. He said the full price will be about 8500 labor included and that the engine would be brand new. He is sending an invoice and confirmation form with everything on it so I can see just what needs to be done and what I’m paying for. Am I missing something here? The cheapest engine used was 5600 then another few grand for labor if a shop does the job but the dealer will do it for 8500 with a one year warranty. And he said to see if I can get the job done cheaper elsewhere only for it not to be cheaper. Any insight on what to do or look out for??? Does this sound right? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 10-16-2020, 08:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Umm No. What did the dealer say was wrong with the current engine?

The following users liked this post:
Dot (10-25-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 06:28 PM
Dot
4th Gear

I’m just seeing u replied. Thanks. He said nothing specifically besides that I need a new engine. He’s gonna email me the breakdown Monday so I’ll know more and I can let u know then. I appreciate your input!

Old 10-19-2020, 07:25 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with the above that they need to tell you what is WRONG with the engine that warrants a full replacement.

That being said, $8,500 for a brand new engine, with the labor to install, from an actual Land Rover dealer, is an absolute bargain. I say this as I am currently having a LR4 delivered to me tomorrow with a blown motor due to overheating. I've spent a great deal of time researching engine replacement and used engines are going for that price or more. Not installed.

Dot (10-25-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 09:31 AM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have them send you a written quote with everything they will do. If it is all in at 8.5k then...and if you want to keep your truck...I’d consider it.

But it’s true what was asked—what is wrong with it first?

Dot (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 08:51 AM
Dot
4th Gear

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for the replies. Sorry I didn’t get back to you because we were going back n forth w the dealer. Turns out he did mis quote the price. The engine is 15k PLUS labor and ancillaries. He said they don’t even have the engine right now. The timing chain failed and bent valves. He also said there is a noise from the lower engine area pistons/bock and/or lower crankshaft. Sigh... Any advice on what to do from here would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:18 AM
4wd Low

I’d look for a second opinion at an indy shop before either biting the bullet or just letting it go as a roller.

Did you get an oil analysis? Crack open the oil filter and check for debris? I suppose the dealer is suggesting catastrophic failure by recommending an engine swap. Of course your dealer also misquoted a new engine so that’s a head scratcher.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:59 AM
Dot
4th Gear

Well the guy at the dealer was communicating with the tech who was the one actually looking at the car. That’s why he said he got the prices mixed up. I thought it was pretty low when he said the price. So I asked over the phone if he can send a full breakdown of the cost and that’s when he emailed the price of 15k and stated he quoted the wrong price by mistake. No oil analysis although he did mention the alternator was covered in oil and would probably need to be replaced soon. But I think that may be a separate issue. A roller?? Does that mean just do away w it?

Old 10-25-2020, 12:38 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I just ordered a used engine from LKQ via eBay with 53k miles for $4,400. These all come with a 6mo warranty on their parts. The used market for the engine out of the Jaguar XF is much lower cost than getting one right out of an LR4. Same exact block.

Now that may not handle the labor to put it in, as I am doing this myself, but it helps avoid the $15k for the engine. Then you can find a reputable independent shop that can give you a good quote for the swap.

Dot (10-31-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 03:37 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Dot
...the alternator was covered in oil and would probably need to be replaced soon. But I think that may be a separate issue. A roller?? Does that mean just do away w it?
1. Alternator covered in oil...wow gasket leak?

2. Roller, yes, if you’re not in love (which you shouldn’t), get rid of it. But as @knightmetro said, you can get a used or rebuilt vs new to save. But he’s dropping it in himself so his cost is time.

Dot (10-31-2020)