LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 lr4

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 02:00 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jackie,

I picked up my truck last Thursday and crossing fingers they actually found and fixed the issue this time! This is what they wrote on my paperwork;

"removed ecm to check for signal from fuel pump control module, at connector C0635L, and found signal grounded at times, intermittently, removed rear luggage compartment trim to check for fuel pump control module, to check for signal grounding, indeed was grounded. follow the wire under the rear seat, had to remove seat and trim to chase wire, wiggle wire with the meter hooked up, found peel wire close to the fuel pump control module touching ground when wiggled the wire loom, go for an extended test drive and working as designed"

So far, I've driven the truck a few times and there have been no issues....yet! The deanship stated that my eco start/stop which was not working correctly should also now be working however, it still doesn't. It works intermittently so I will be taking it back in for that however, I wanted to drive the truck around town for the week to make sure it doesn't stall out again so I don't have to keep going back and forth.

Have him chase the fuel pump wires since that has been replaced. The dealership stated that my fuel pump had been replaced at about 4k miles and that more than likely this is when the wire became loose and overtime it probably moved around and then started causing the engine stall.

I will post again in about a week with an update. Good luck!

Old 10-02-2017, 02:02 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by BritCars
Could be a lot of things. You definitely need the dealer to do a full diagnostic, pull the codes and work it out. Could be the crank sensor failing - that can stop the engine. Could be fuel pump although I think you'd feel it stumbling and running rough before cutting out. Many other sensors on the system too

Have them pull the codes, work it out properly and fix it. And have them make really sure before they give it back to you - you definitely don't want it just cutting out...
Makes you wonder if the previous owner was having trouble. Ask them to see the previous maintenance history if they will show you
I picked up my truck last Thursday and crossing fingers they actually found and fixed the issue this time! This is what they wrote on my paperwork;

"removed ecm to check for signal from fuel pump control module, at connector C0635L, and found signal grounded at times, intermittently, removed rear luggage compartment trim to check for fuel pump control module, to check for signal grounding, indeed was grounded. follow the wire under the rear seat, had to remove seat and trim to chase wire, wiggle wire with the meter hooked up, found peel wire close to the fuel pump control module touching ground when wiggled the wire loom, go for an extended test drive and working as designed"

So far, I've driven the truck a few times and there have been no issues....yet! The dealership stated that my eco start/stop which was not working correctly should also now be working however, it still doesn't. It works intermittently so I will be taking it back in for that however, I wanted to drive the truck around town for the week to make sure it doesn't stall out again so I don't have to keep going back and forth.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:02 PM
4wd Low

Hi Jackie!
So it seems that my LR4 is back to the same old thing. The last fix regarding the wiring did not fix the issue and my truck staled out/shut off 2 more times! It's in the shop for the third time now. This time, my engine light came on and stayed on which has never happened in the past and my truck wouldn't start back up for several minutes after it happened this time. We'll see what they have to say this time however, my understanding is that it can really be just about anything that could cause this to happen. The fact that the service department keeps telling me they fixed the issue, only for me to keep experiencing the same problem tells me that they don't know what's causing it either.
Any word on yours yet?

Old 04-11-2019, 12:54 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JackieH
Hi, the exact thing is happening with my LR4 right now. Mine is a different year, but you are describing the exact issue. I also had it stall multiple times while in traffic. Scary! I would get a strange message on the dash display regarding the "terrain" and it started back up. Mine has been at a mechanic who only works on Land Rovers. He worked at the dealership for many years before starting this business. He says he hasn't seen it before now and is baffled. So far, he has replaced both fuel pumps. He took out the ECU and put the one in from another vehicle and the stalling problem continued. No codes. He says my battery is fine. He has had the vehicle for a couple of weeks and said he would understand if I wanted to take it to the dealership, but he knew they would simply start putting in new parts until they repaired. This guy is truly trying to isolate the problem to avoid the costs that throwing in new parts would incur. I have had mine for several years with no issues. My street flooded the day before the problem began so I can't help but wonder if something got wet? Just so ironic that the problem began the very next day that I drove through about 6" of water?? The mechanic thinks it is a coincidence and not related. Please let me know if your problem is identified and I'll do the same.
Thank you!
Were you able to find the fix this issue? Mine is doing the same thing.

Old 08-01-2021, 12:43 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Gr4y
Were you able to find the fix this issue? Mine is doing the same thing.
hi
Did you have fix your?I have same problem with my lr4.Thanks

Old 08-02-2021, 05:12 PM

no, I haven't been able to fix it. I'm exhausted! My mechanic is exhausted. We thought that it might have to do with something getting wet too, but it doesn't seem to matter. Wet or Dry it keeps dying. Random times! I can go days, not a week, without it dying. And then out of the blue it dies. I don't trust it. I drive it around my small town, because if it dies, I usually can get it started after a few seconds/minutes, and its low stress, no busy streets. But we took a little road trip and I wouldn't take it. I ended up renting a car, ridiculous. The mechanic has checked batteries, fuel pumps, computers, wiring, I have a laundry list of items we have replaces. No codes, just dies.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:51 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Melody Borrowman Reels
no, I haven't been able to fix it. I'm exhausted! My mechanic is exhausted. We thought that it might have to do with something getting wet too, but it doesn't seem to matter. Wet or Dry it keeps dying. Random times! I can go days, not a week, without it dying. And then out of the blue it dies. I don't trust it. I drive it around my small town, because if it dies, I usually can get it started after a few seconds/minutes, and its low stress, no busy streets. But we took a little road trip and I wouldn't take it. I ended up renting a car, ridiculous. The mechanic has checked batteries, fuel pumps, computers, wiring, I have a laundry list of items we have replaces. No codes, just dies.
I was finally able to fix it !! It took me three day's to figured it out,$20 bucks repair. Randomly dies while idle, sometimes during drive dies for fraction of second and starts itself,really scary experience .No codes...then u0100 code ..lost communication with ECM/PCM.I checked all wiring, batterie fuse's ,relay's.all seems to be good so I switch 70 amps ECM relay with another but only 40 amps relay and its start to dies more often and finally throw the code that relay is re-energizing,not able hold contacts.So I bought new 70 amps relay for ECM and problem solved! that was my first guess it could be a relay,but I did measure resistance ,checked contacts,all seems to be good,but relay was tired and after while wasn't able hold contacts and that cause the problem.Yours could be different story,but you should give a try even if the relay seems to be good!

The following users liked this post:
jlglr4 (08-03-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 08:50 AM
Talking It worked

Originally Posted by Jardus
I was finally able to fix it !! It took me three day's to figured it out,$20 bucks repair. Randomly dies while idle, sometimes during drive dies for fraction of second and starts itself,really scary experience .No codes...then u0100 code ..lost communication with ECM/PCM.I checked all wiring, batterie fuse's ,relay's.all seems to be good so I switch 70 amps ECM relay with another but only 40 amps relay and its start to dies more often and finally throw the code that relay is re-energizing,not able hold contacts.So I bought new 70 amps relay for ECM and problem solved! that was my first guess it could be a relay,but I did measure resistance ,checked contacts,all seems to be good,but relay was tired and after while wasn't able hold contacts and that cause the problem.Yours could be different story,but you should give a try even if the relay seems to be good!
I showed my mechanic your message, he worked on it and it hasn't died since! I didn't want to give an update right away and jinx it, LOL! But its been just over two months and I haven't had a problem. Thank you so much for saying something, you really helped me out. I was at my whits end and was looking at trading it in, which I didn't want to pass the problem onto someone else. Thanks again.

Old 09-22-2022, 08:37 PM

I have a new issue with my LR4, could you look at my recent post and see if you can help me with my new problem?

Old 12-26-2022, 10:26 PM
5th Gear

I've had the same problem with my 14 LR4..just dies going down the road or idling..replaced crank sensor, cam sensor, and about to attempt to clean the return line fuel condenser/filter..any help appreciated..also what is your new problem as I can't find the thread

Quick Reply: 2014 lr4