LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioning Hit or Miss?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 12:18 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning Hit or Miss?

Over the span of two weeks or so my air conditioner hasn’t been working properly. Some days it works, others it does not. It comes and goes. I had the blower replaced under extended warranty in Feb and when it works it blows hard and cold so I’ve ruled a faulty blower out of the equation.

Could this be a fan clutch issue? All fuses and relay were okay. Anyone have this issue before?

Old 07-27-2018, 07:34 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

When it is not working are you in traffic stopped, or slow moving?
s the AC compressor clutch engaging?
Is the fan clutch engaging?

Old 08-09-2018, 10:17 AM
Winching
Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

The new Land Rovers do not have an air conditioner clutch per say. The compressor turns all the time. What they have is an internal “wobble plate” that changes the amount of fluid and pressure that is allowed to move through it. This plate is moved by a solenoid. See this thread in D3 UK forum, it even has a cut-away picture of the compressor and does a good job of explaining how the system works.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/autom...r+conditioning

What year of LR4 do you have? I had the same problem with my 2014 (first year they went to the "new" 1234yf refrigerant). Seems the low pressure switch is more like a “medium” pressure switch and deactivates the solenoid on the compressor sooner than to older ones did.

My local repair shop (non Land Rover) hooked it up a machine for the new refrigerant and ran diagnostic test. He said the old days of throwing a gauge on it and adding freon was over. The machine extracted the fluid, scrubbed it, added lubricant as needed and had them start the car and added the required level all on its own. It even printed out a diagnostic report of the quality of the fluid and the system efficiency.

No problems for more than 2 months. Here in Houston we run the A/C anytime the engine is on, so it has had plenty of time to fail again.
I hope yours is just as simple to fix.

Let us know what it turns out to be.

Jeff

Last edited by Rufflyer; 08-09-2018 at 10:18 AM. Reason: corrected spelling (go figure)
Old 08-09-2018, 10:47 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for the insight, Jeff. I wasn’t aware of the issue you spoke about. I have a 2010. As stated, the blower was replaced under warranty four months back or so. Air worked great for a short period of time. Then it started deciding on when it wanted to work.

Knock on wood, but within the last three weeks or so I haven’t had any hiccups. I did have it scheduled to be repaired by my local LR indy shop, but cancelled it after it started to work. I’ll definitely take a look at that thread and keep it in mind.

Thanks!

Old 09-10-2021, 07:02 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Rufflyer
The new Land Rovers do not have an air conditioner clutch per say. The compressor turns all the time. What they have is an internal “wobble plate” that changes the amount of fluid and pressure that is allowed to move through it. This plate is moved by a solenoid. See this thread in D3 UK forum, it even has a cut-away picture of the compressor and does a good job of explaining how the system works.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/autom...r+conditioning

What year of LR4 do you have? I had the same problem with my 2014 (first year they went to the "new" 1234yf refrigerant). Seems the low pressure switch is more like a “medium” pressure switch and deactivates the solenoid on the compressor sooner than to older ones did.

My local repair shop (non Land Rover) hooked it up a machine for the new refrigerant and ran diagnostic test. He said the old days of throwing a gauge on it and adding freon was over. The machine extracted the fluid, scrubbed it, added lubricant as needed and had them start the car and added the required level all on its own. It even printed out a diagnostic report of the quality of the fluid and the system efficiency.

No problems for more than 2 months. Here in Houston we run the A/C anytime the engine is on, so it has had plenty of time to fail again.
I hope yours is just as simple to fix.

Let us know what it turns out to be.

Jeff
Jeff I'm here in Houston can you tell me where you took your LR4 I have the same or similar problem that you had with your LR4