LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying 2013 LR4

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 11:31 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 2013 LR4

I am looking at upgrading from an LR2 to an LR4. Primarily looking for the V8 and newer sound system so either 2012 or 2013. It seems like prices are varying pretty wildly. A dearl right by me has a 2013 LR4 with 33k miles for $42,500 (still has 6 months of warranty left). This seems a bit high. They claim they spent $3,700 servicing the car to their standards. They replaced all brakes, rotors, and completed the 50k mile servicing. They also said they would sell me a Certified LR 3 year 36k mile warranty for $3,000.

Another dealer near me has a same model year with 80k miles for $29,000.

Final option - CarMax has a 2013 with 50k miles on it for $38,000. If I went that route, I'd likely just go ahead and buy their extended service plan.

Is the $42,500 truck worth that much more because of the miles difference? Any input you guys could provide would be helpful!

Old 09-27-2017, 02:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Just my view!

The 42k one sounds good but that's the very upper end of price range. And with the new discovery coming out and people trading in I don't expert a shortage of supply. So I'd make them an offer and walk if they won't deal. I would aim 38-40k
Sure they spent 3700 at 'retail rates' on servicing - but dealers charge $1000 per axle for brakes and rotors. You can do it yourself with oem parts for a third of that. So I don't think it's worth a lot more because of that. Mileage is good.

29k for the 80k model is prob right. But that's a high mileage. If you are a low mileage driver might go for that but if you do normal mileage you'll hit 100k soon. Probably ok but expensive to repair so that would prob scare me off. Might be a false economy

The car fax one is ok - perhaps a bit high. Depends on the condition - is it 'as is' or serviced etc. as above you could spend a couple of thousand dollars on brakes, tires, servicing etc if it's not well looked after

Are those the only choices? Typically no shortage of LR4

On the warranty I'd read the posts in here carefully. Even the Land Rover 'warranty' has a lot of exclusions. I have it on my LR4. It covered water pump but not front control arms as it was really the bushings which are considered 'wear parts' (but $1500 to replace...). So it's piece of mind but may not be worth it. If you are handy yourself or know a well priced Land Rover Indy, I'd prob save the money

I've not heard great things about the car fax warranty. I'd prob separate the purchase from the warranty question and shop for one with good customer reviews

The following users liked this post:
chrismrobbins (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 02:43 PM
5th Gear

Thanks @BritCars. Surprisingly there is a pretty big scarcity on LR4s around my area. Most of them are 2015 and 16s in the mid to upper 50s. A bit rich for me.

I'm mostly leaning towards the 80k mile car. I drive around 10k miles a year, usually taking a few road trips throughout the west (live in Boulder, CO). It seems like, given the major price difference, there is a lot of room for repairs or trying to find a good warranty and still coming out ahead. The dealer has all the original service records for it and did most of the work over the car's life. It is a 1 owner car so feels fairly promising.

Major issues to look out for at 100k miles? It seems like most of what I've read here makes it seem like people are pleasantly surprised by how well these trucks are holding up.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If you have service history and it has been well looked after that's very positive. Has it been serviced or will they throw that in?

Mine is a 2010 with nearly 80k miles and out of the Cpo warranty for a couple of years now and had no issues at all. (Except it's heavy and eats brake pads fast!). So I would agree they seem pretty robust

I would pay to have a thorough independent inspection to make sure. It's not much for peace of mind. Issues to check
- water pump - I'd be sure they have had to do that already but check to make sure. They fail and can fail a second time too as it's a poor design
- clunking over low speed bumps - control arms bushings fail - particularly front lower. Part is cheap but labor is expensive to get them out and back in so worth checking. Mine went at 60k miles at the front.

Brakes and tires but cheaper to repair away from dealer

Aside from that my take is they are quite reliable and nothing 'chronic'. I would check all electrics very thoroughly to ensure no gremlins

If it were me I'd do that one then get a good Indy to do full fluids changes (oil, transmission, brake etc), filters, for preventative maintenance. And bank the many thousands of dollars saving...

Old 09-29-2017, 03:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, you need to see the service history: maybe CarFax or if bought and serviced at the same dealer, their records. If (a huge if) it has a new battery, newer, matching tires, new Lower Control arms, a recent brake change, and new transmission and differential fluids, the 80K car would be my choice.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:59 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Jhartz
I agree, you need to see the service history: maybe CarFax or if bought and serviced at the same dealer, their records. If (a huge if) it has a new battery, newer, matching tires, new Lower Control arms, a recent brake change, and new transmission and differential fluids, the 80K car would be my choice.
Thanks for the input. I've checked over the Carfax: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...AK2D44DA655200

It looks pretty clean and looks like it's had quite a bit of servicing. There is one other one around 55k miles that seemed intriguing and looked well kept as well: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...AK2D41DA657342

It is 8k more expensive but the dealer its at gives a lifetime powertrain warranty so that is probably worth something..

Thanks again guys for the input! Such a big decision...

Old 09-29-2017, 07:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Personally I'd go for the 80k one and pocket the savings! Assuming inspection checks out. Single owner and appears to have been well looked after. Had brake fluids, oil etc done recently. 8k is a big difference

Looks like it has been for sale for 8 months, incl 2+ with current dealer. So assuming all checks out I'd be inclined to offer them a bit below asking

Old 10-27-2017, 12:40 PM
3rd Gear

I considered these types of scenarios as I wrestled with buying a used English car to replace my 94 LC. I ended up paying 25k for a 2011 with 50k miles. dealer maintained but lacking records (which dealer wont provide...) I decided that it would be better to pay less upfront for lower miles and then be prepared to pay $$$ for maintenance so I am ok with the first $5-8k in repairs that may hit over the next 50k miles. although I also didn't see any weird issues with the v8 versions other than water pump, control arms which had been addressed. roll the dice!