LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a high mileage LR4 .... Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 02:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a high mileage LR4 .... Opinions

Hello all,
I am looking at a high mileage 2010 LR4 and I wanted to see you fine people's opinion on it. It has 93,000 miles with a pretty solid service record and no accidents (as far as I can see on Carfax). The dealer is asking 18,900 which is by far the lowest I can find near me. I am jumping ship from a discovery 2 that I have had for 13 years and have done a bunch of my own work on so I am pretty handy. The LR4s seem reliably just was nervous about the mileage and the electronics. Should I steer clear or take a chance?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-17-2016, 10:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a reasonable price. The dealer should be able to pull up all dealership services. I would still want to spend $600 or so to renew all fluids - tranny, both differentials, brakes, as well as coolant. Maybe new thermostat, water pump, belts and hoses, and fuel filter. Maybe plugs. But, again, dealer records can guide you on what has recently been done.

My favorite Jag/ Land Rover salesman bought a new Jag sports car but only uses it around town; to visit his mother in Canada, he bought an 09 LR3 with 120,000 miles. Had the shop go over it, as I noted above, drove it many times north, summer and winter. Very reliable, very comfortable. Most I ever did on a LR was 60,000 on my first (an 05 LR), which was flawless after they finally got everything sorted out.

Two things wear out cars: miles and time. Miles are not too high, time is recent enough to preclude age wear.

Last edited by Jhartz; 05-17-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Totally agree. Type of miles also matters - highway miles are more gently than constant start stop. I'd have a thorough inspection (check water pump which fails easily, bushings particularly lower control arms which are a fair amount of labour to get at, brakes and tyres given it eats them fast) and ensure all electrics etc work). Maybe ask them for a 3 month warranty on major issues (engine, drivetrain, electricals).

Beyond that sounds like a great price. Mine is a 2010 model with 65k miles and aside from a water pump and the front bushings it has had nothing at all needed

Good luck!

Old 05-17-2016, 02:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. The truck just had the water pump and coolant changed when taken into inventory at the dealer. It also had the 90,000 mile service performed... Not sure if that is a major service or not like it is with my disco 2. I have had my fair share of problems with the disco but I am rounding the corner at 188,000 miles. It still runs ... The dealer is giving me $1500 for it ... Seems fair enough. I'm guessing the consensus is to go for it. Thanks for the help

Old 05-17-2016, 05:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

If it were me I might pay a couple of hundred for an independent inspection but if condition seems good, drives well, no error codes etc then it sounds like a good price to me.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

If you don't buy it, I will.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Have them pull and print out all records from factory delivery to dealership, to now. If they inspected it that's fine, maybe if you really want to you might take it to another dealer and pay them to inspect. I doubt they're trying to pull a fast one on you though.

is it a CPO truck with warranty? If so have them print the "cheat sheet" for the warranty terms and explain exactly what is covered, and what won't be. CPO should have new brake systems too last I checked.

IMO carfax is a joke unless you're checking for a salvage title.

See if you can get them to change the diff fluids, t case fluids, and a new tranny pan/filter change with new fluids too. Coolant and oil changes you can do yourself so don't haggle over those (though the LR4 may need a pump to change the oil). Go for the gold with the harder-to-do stuff. See how well they can sweeten the pot but if the vehicle checks out you may just want to buy it and spend that money out of pocket.

Good luck

Old 05-26-2016, 11:07 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by starcraft1
It still runs ... The dealer is giving me $1500 for it ... Seems fair enough. I'm guessing the consensus is to go for it. Thanks for the help
You might be able to sell it for twice that privately, or part it out for possibly more. Besides that, the dealer is probably valuing it at $500, but is willing to drop the price on the LR4 $1K more. So if you decide to do it, offer $18K even for the LR4, and list your DII at $3K.