LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy Key cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 03:32 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crazy Key cost

So, I need advice.
2010 LR4 with one key and wanted a spare.
Dealer in NJ quoted the following:
$363 for the key
$128 for programming
$75 for the blade
$566.00 Total

I do have a blank ebay key that would, so I am told, require programming. (The dealer said it wouldn't work -want to sell theirs) With a DII tool is it possible to have the blank programmed, using my one good key? or should I find a cheaper dealer??

Thoughts - I really don't want to spent $566 on a key.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:57 AM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't have key prices in front of me. I know the keys are high, even the mechanical blade, but your prices seem a "tad" inflated, maybe 10-15% higher than what I seem to remember (i.e. I thought the blade was only $50-60, but again, I don't have the prices in front of me).
Standard programming price is usually 1 hour labor, so their hourly rate is likely $128 (local dealer here is $145). An hour seems high, but its about right. Every Smart Key vehicle I have programmed a key for, also required an update to the Keyless Vehicle Module (KVM) which doubles the time it takes to do the procedure.

I'm not familiar with the DII tool, so I can't speak for its ability. I can say that I have had two vehicles totally fail to program keys on me, rendering them immobile. I had to delete all keys, perform a key test on all keys, then start from scratch relearning all the keys and having experienced that, I would never try the procedure with anything but the factory diagnostic tool. Of course, sometimes the factory tool is so convoluted in how it does the procedures, it could have been the cause for the issue, some aftermarket tools like the now defunct Autologic is usually more streamlined.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:42 PM
Drifting

I'm probably going to wait and buy a key at a later date.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:56 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

You can program a ket with the DII tool, but you have to have one good key.
Also becareful when doing, because if you erase the original key code form the car you will be screwed.
I am in Maine, and as such the prices tend to be lower.
The dealer lost one of my keys last year and had to replace it.
The invoiced amount was $495, not too far off from what your dealer quoted.
Of course i did;t have to pay, but it was a good bit of information to know.

Everything for these vehicle is expensive. Cost of ownership is not cheap.
I have heard mixed review about the eBay fobs. You will still have to have the dealer cut the key blank, though.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

Get in touch with a qualified locksmith. I had all kinds of trouble just getting a key made for my D1, which doesn't have all the electronics on it but the local hardware store couldn't make one that would work.

The locksmith told me he had a way to 'clone' a key with the immobilizer and stuff on it. we talked a bit about one of my other cars that has one of those fancy keys and he offered me a key at 1/2 price to see if he could do it. I ended up passing as there wasn't a dealer close by if something went wrong (300 mile trip each way)

Old 02-08-2017, 02:29 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

We just got a new Honda Van to pack to the kids around an the electronic key for those is north of $700 to replace. In fact, they even offered insurance for the replacement of a key at the dealer. Ridiculous.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:25 PM
Overlanding

Whats wrong the original key? The key for my 7-series BMW had issues with unlocking, so I cut it open and re-soldered the door unlock button and glued it all back together... works great, been 4-5 years.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:32 PM
Drifting

Oh there is nothing wrong with the original key, other than being a bit dinged up, I just wanted a spare.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:06 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay and Ace Hardware = $30 in total

I bought a fob from E-bay, and took it to Ace Hardware and they programmed it for free. Works great. It took a sales associate (not a locksmith) a total of three minutes to programs it, which shows how crooked the dealers are... 3 minutes = 500 dollars, and the key probably costs them $10. Ace makes key as part of a Durcell program, they are suppose to sell the keys (I think $100) and program for free, but since my Ace did not have any in stock, they just did it for free. Land Rover can really leave from a company like Ace, you can make loyal customers without ripping them off at every chance you get. It can be tough to get someone to program a key for reasonable prices, but it is possible just call around and start at Ace Hardware. I also called a locksmith, who also wanted $350 for three minutes of work, so many crooks out there.

Originally Posted by Bogwhoppit
So, I need advice.
2010 LR4 with one key and wanted a spare.
Dealer in NJ quoted the following:
$363 for the key
$128 for programming
$75 for the blade
$566.00 Total

I do have a blank ebay key that would, so I am told, require programming. (The dealer said it wouldn't work -want to sell theirs) With a DII tool is it possible to have the blank programmed, using my one good key? or should I find a cheaper dealer??

Thoughts - I really don't want to spent $566 on a key.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by comparably
I bought a fob from E-bay, and took it to Ace Hardware and they programmed it for free. Works great. It took a sales associate (not a locksmith) a total of three minutes to programs it, which shows how crooked the dealers are... 3 minutes = 500 dollars, and the key probably costs them $10. Ace makes key as part of a Durcell program, they are suppose to sell the keys (I think $100) and program for free, but since my Ace did not have any in stock, they just did it for free. Land Rover can really leave from a company like Ace, you can make loyal customers without ripping them off at every chance you get. It can be tough to get someone to program a key for reasonable prices, but it is possible just call around and start at Ace Hardware. I also called a locksmith, who also wanted $350 for three minutes of work, so many crooks out there.
So just to be absolutely clear, you ACE Hardware were able to program a new key that you got from ebay for a Land Rover LR4? If that's correct, can you please tell me if this is the keyless entry fob, or one with a blade? Interested, as I don't understand how they managed to match the KVM module security code. Also, even on a LR3 you'd need the vehicle to do this as the key is coded to the vehicle.

Grateful for any clarification you could offer.

Quick Reply: Crazy Key cost