LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emission monitor Fuel System not ready

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 09:56 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Emission monitor Fuel System not ready

Time to smog the 2013 LR4. Assumed it would easily pass. I Should have checked the monitors before stopping at the smog check station.
Did a fair amount of searching with no real obvious leads. I’ll drive it a bit tomorrow and watch the monitors via my Code reader. Tech was surprised that the Fuel System wasn’t ready. Feared an ECU or wiring issue. I do see short to ground faults in the drivers mirror or door occasionally based on prior faults.
The following were not ready:
Fuel System (continuously monitored)
Catalyst
Oxygen Sensor
Evaporative System (optional in CA)

I hadn’t cleared the codes in quite a long time. I was on vacation recently and the battery voltage might have dipped, though it started easily.

From what I’ve read, some codes can prevent the continuous monitor of Fuel System (runs at startup) should be ready unless some code prevents it. No O2, Evap or fuel codes per GAP IIDTOOL.
I cleared everything and restarted it a couple of times. Still not ready.

Any suggestions or experience with this?

Old 12-04-2020, 08:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I remember reading this not too long ago, but I do not think you have the same faults. https://www.landroverworld.org/threa...9/#post-221784

in another thread, they talked about drive cycles and driving 100 miles at over 55mph to allow everything to reset.

The following users liked this post:
Geo (12-04-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 09:04 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling

Tried hard reset and drove it for two hours today. Still not ready.
May call Gap Diagnostics and discuss an Ecu flash unless anyone else has any ideas.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:52 AM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oldman846
I remember reading this not too long ago, but I do not think you have the same faults. https://www.landroverworld.org/threa...9/#post-221784

in another thread, they talked about drive cycles and driving 100 miles at over 55mph to allow everything to reset.
The thread above is mine Unfortunately drive cycles haven't helped as I've put at least 4k on the truck. Indy I'm working with is also doing some research as we speak but I went ahead and ordered a GAP tool so I can dig around a bit. Potentially solution might be a flash but I'll see what the indy recommends

Old 12-08-2020, 11:08 AM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Default Still not ready

I have about a hundred miles in the last day or so. No real change. Stopping by a local independent garage today. We’ll see what they think. Could be EGR or PCV. Weird that there are no codes....

Old 12-08-2020, 12:54 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Geo
I have about a hundred miles in the last day or so. No real change. Stopping by a local independent garage today. We’ll see what they think. Could be EGR or PCV. Weird that there are no codes....
Yeah, it took my indy pulling out an older reader to uncover the TCM->ECU fault code. His observation is the the fuel monitor should immediately engage as its continuous which might be causing the issue overall.

How many miles do you have on your LR4? I've got a 2012 with 89k.

Lmk what you find out, I'll also keep everyone posted what I uncover.

Old 12-08-2020, 02:38 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling

That aligns with what I think as well.
2013 with 118k miles so far. Been a great truck, not expecting anything too bad. Just have to track down the issue

Old 12-11-2020, 05:49 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling

To close the loop. Drove awhile, heated cat, egr and fuel system still not ready. Egr went ready on the way to the shop. Local independent found no errors. Flashed the PCM/ECU with newest software release and tightened a Positive battery terminal that could be moved by hand. He thought that could cause an issue. $255 dollars for diagnosis and flash. I wasn’t convinced.
Less than 70 miles later, all monitors ready. Happy as a clam. Not sure what made the difference. I will say the fuel system was the last one to go green. The heated catalyst turned right before. EVAP went green after sitting overnight.

So, the Fuel System monitor does not change immediately at startup even though it’s called ‘continuous.’ Documented for posterity.
Here are some screen shots. The next to last counter (Secondary O2 sensor monitor) turned from 3 to 4 and then all monitors were ready.

Old 12-14-2020, 03:33 PM
7th Gear

Geo this is great news. I look forward to seeing if this is what solves my problem, keep you posted.

The following users liked this post:
Geo (12-14-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 08:48 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Geo
To close the loop. Drove awhile, heated cat, egr and fuel system still not ready. Egr went ready on the way to the shop. Local independent found no errors. Flashed the PCM/ECU with newest software release and tightened a Positive battery terminal that could be moved by hand. He thought that could cause an issue. $255 dollars for diagnosis and flash. I wasn’t convinced.
Less than 70 miles later, all monitors ready. Happy as a clam. Not sure what made the difference. I will say the fuel system was the last one to go green. The heated catalyst turned right before. EVAP went green after sitting overnight.

So, the Fuel System monitor does not change immediately at startup even though it’s called ‘continuous.’ Documented for posterity.
Here are some screen shots. The next to last counter (Secondary O2 sensor monitor) turned from 3 to 4 and then all monitors were ready.
Hey Geo, do you happen to have the PCM software versions? I wanted to make sure they align with what I'll need.

​​​​​​​Thanks

Quick Reply: Emission monitor Fuel System not ready