LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight bulbs keep burning out

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 08:18 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Headlight bulbs keep burning out

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...ing-out-29813/
, et, etc
I posted in the LR3 page as well following a search that yielded nothing in LR4 world.

My headlight bulbs keep burning out. OEM's replaced after 2.5 years. Then I moved to Sylvania bulbs from AutoZone. I don't touch 'em, etc. (Let's assume the bulbs were replaced w/in NASA specs and tolerances) Now, when I replace a set, either the left or right side will burn out w/in 1 week - randomly. When I then replace a single side, the other burns out w/in 1 week. Anybody have this odd electrical issue?

I ran an LR4 search and nothing. I ran a forum-wide search and came up w/the above. I ran a Google search and came up w/nothing.

Some insight would be appreciated. Thx.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Are they the ultra high performance (the ones that shine bright white like xenon bulbs)? I tried the philips ones of those in my LR4 and found they burned out incredibly fast (a few months or so) - not quite weeks...

But seems they don't do well with the LR4

I changed back to the normal (weak) standard ones and they have been great ever since

The following users liked this post:
Minifreek (06-09-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 08:29 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I assume you are referring to the H7 bulb? Have you tried the H7LL (Long Life)?

Also, if the electrical connector for the bulb shows ANY signs of overheating, the connector needs replaced.

Minifreek (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 10:16 PM
6th Gear
Cool Having the Same problem with Super bright H7 bulbs

Hello
I am having the same problem with my front main headlight beams.
I had one H7 go back in late February, so I thought I would change both bulbs at the same time. I bought a pair of Philips X-treme Vision H7 - XVB2 from my local parts supplier chain. I put them in and I like how bright they were.
Well one lasted a week and the other 2 days later burnt out.
So I went back to the business I got them from and exchanged them for a new set. These ones lasted until yesterday. It was raining heavy and I have all the wipers, heater/defroster, and headlights going.
They were working great as I could see their refection in the back of some trucks tailgates. I stopped to grab a quick up of coffee at my local chain java shop and hopped back into my 1995 Disco. I turned on the Landy and turned on the beams and then saw the reflection of the 2 in the window of the coffee shop. Then as I was idling I saw one go out. I had a little curse and then just as I was backing out the other one go out as well. I tried my High beams and they still worked. So I pulled back into the parking space and proceeded to dismantle my headlights right there and then. I pulled out one and sure enough it was burnt out at the top of the element right at the 90 degree point.
Then same on the other one as well.

I am not sure if it is some form of power surge or just that these bulbs are not meant for Land Rovers as suggested by BritCars.
I just stopped into WallyWorld and bought some cheaper Sylvania XTRAVISION H7s to see how they do.
I will look for the H7LL (Long Life) like LR Techniker suggests.

As I side note I was on some pretty rough roads when the first set blew out
and then I was on some rough roads again late last week.
I was wondering if they cannot take the shuttering one roads with a lot of washboarding.
Thoughts anyone?

Old 07-15-2017, 11:46 PM
6th Gear

AHHH!!!
My headlights all blew out again today both at the same time.
Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on?

Old 09-07-2017, 10:13 PM
6th Gear
Thumbs up I Think I figured it out!!!

OK The problem with my headlight bulbs have been ongoing.
I check my alternator and my voltage kept fluctuating.
Turns out one half of my OEM alternator was not working.

So I bought a new one from eagleautoelectric on eBay for $171.27 US with free shipping. It puts out 160 Amps. He recommended adding an additional 4 gauge wire from the alternator directly to the positive battery terminal, which I did.

So far it works great and not fluctuation or drop page in voltage.
Actually seems like my Disco has a bit more pep. I think the plugs might be firing hotter as well.

No issues with he H7 headlight bulbs so far. I will let everyone know in another few months if the headlight bulb issue is still there.

cokeeffe (12-06-2022)