LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Coolant Low!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 02:27 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Coolant Low!

Hoping someone is familiar with what I am going through. I have a 2011 LR4. I had the water pump replaced a few weeks ago. Shortly after, I started gettin “restricted performance” notifications. Then, the coolant was low again. Took it back to the shop and they ran every test and went over it with “a fine tooth comb” and couldn’t find anything wrong. Two days later, coolant low message pops up again. When I popped the hood, I could see the coolant bubbling in the reservoir. Is that normal? If the shop can’t find a leak or anything wrong, where is all my coolant going? I meant to add, my engine light is now on as well.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:18 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Amberslaws
Hoping someone is familiar with what I am going through. I have a 2011 LR4. I had the water pump replaced a few weeks ago. Shortly after, I started gettin “restricted performance” notifications. Then, the coolant was low again. Took it back to the shop and they ran every test and went over it with “a fine tooth comb” and couldn’t find anything wrong. Two days later, coolant low message pops up again. When I popped the hood, I could see the coolant bubbling in the reservoir. Is that normal? If the shop can’t find a leak or anything wrong, where is all my coolant going? I meant to add, my engine light is now on as well.
Well, bubbles in the overflow could be exhaust gas and you are loosing coolant but don’t see any visible leaks? Scary thought head gasket or system has air in it. I wouldn’t run it, have it towed to the shop because they did the work.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

The restricted performance warnings mean it was going into limp mode so it sounds like you over heated it. The 5.0 motor does not like to get got. Many times they are a one and done motor on overheating. Check for exhaust gases in the coolant expansion tank. Also look for the coolant leak you may be lucky and its just got a leak that was missed. The coolant crossover tubes are a common spot.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:42 AM
2nd Gear

So I figured out I do have coolant, it wasn’t in the tank. Once we took the cap off, it all flowed back in. Also, the restricted performance only comes on after the car has been sitting overnight..

Old 09-28-2019, 07:53 AM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Without scanning the Engine Control Module for fault codes, its all speculation and guesswork at best. However, based on your symptoms, you likely have a blown headgasket.
Coolant is dissapearing and you can't see where its going, probable cause is into the combustion chamber and being burned off.
Headgaskets often leak worse when cold and once warm when everything expands, it seals better. So it leaks worse when cold, enough to cause misfire and give "restricted performance" fault.
Pulling the cap off just relieves pressure allowing coolant to flow back to tank. That doesn't mean its full, it should always show in the tank.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:48 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

agreed with LRtechniker. You have a blown head gasket. The coolant is sweating into the cylinder overnight, so it starts misfiring in the am until all the coolant is burnt off.