LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad of an idea is it to buy a used Disco 4? 🙃

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 08:32 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad of an idea is it to buy a used Disco 4? 🙃

Hi fancy Landy people!

I know! This question; you have heard it before! I have heard it before. Its been answered a million times. I watched a dozen videos telling me not to buy this car. But what I found out about this question is that it is all about perspective. Sure, you can buy an old Toyota and drive it like an idiot for a dozen of years. If you compare that to a Disco 4 of of course it will seem like a bad idea. But if you compare it to similar heavy vehicles, well its another story isn't it?

I used to own a Discovery 4. A used 2010 HSE TD 3.0. A bloody brilliant vehicle. Every moment in that car was pure bliss. It made me giddy with happiness just sitting in it. Well, until it started making weird noises and the air suspension started making troubles. I knew I was facing service bills that would efficiently kill my economy. I could probably manage it. But barely. I managed to sell it off to an auction company before it completely broke down and I count myself lucky.

These days I drive a sensible economical Asian car. Its about as much fun to drive as getting punched in the face. So here I am, dreaming of a Discovery 4 again. The ultimate Land Rover imo.

But my question is this. Can you buy a a Discovery 4 and somehow manage it as a sensible investment (given that we are talking about cars)? Can you find a Disco 4 were you can more or less for sure know that there will be no big repairs in the future? How would you go about doing that? Or is Discovery 4 just not a car I should have since I don't have unlimited supplies of cash? I'm no mechanic and I don't have a garage.

Old 11-25-2022, 02:00 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2013 LR4 this week (white with tan interior).

Before I say anymore, my family is Lexus/Toyota loyal. We can tell you stories of decades of reliable service. We can tell you how we have the confidence to jump into any of our Lexus/Toyota cars and drive across the country and back without any concerns.

When it comes to the LR4, it’s replacing a Toyota 4Runner. Everything I’ve read, everything I’ve watched, everything I’ve been told is to avoid acquiring this vehicle and stick with my usual Lexus/Toyota.

My wife has wanted a white LR4 for years and these cars have recently become reasonably affordable, I finally gave in and bought one.

First week impression is in fact that it’s bloody brilliant. Powerful, luxurious, head turning, vastly different from other vehicles on the road. My wife couldn’t be more thrilled.

The reliability experiment is under way… 😀

I’ve promised to not hold it against her if we encounter problems.

Last edited by Luke87GT; 11-25-2022 at 02:11 PM.