LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Vehicle Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 07:21 AM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intermittent Vehicle Vibration

Hi all: Looking for help with my 2013 LR4 HSE (107k miles on the car). For a few months now I get random vehicle vibration. I have seen posts with similar issues but few confirmed solutions. Here's what happens; while it has occurred at all speeds, it usually happens after I start out and I feel it around 20-30 mph. It could happen 3 days in a row and then not again for a week. It could happen when I first start out...I get it to stop and then I could drive 100 miles without it occurring. The vehicle starts vibrating - the faster I go, the more intense the vibration. If I shift to neutral, no change...the vibration continues. Two things make it go away: either come to a stop and restart or slow down and make a few turns (like in a parking lot, turning onto a side street, etc.). The front end parts are all either new or confirmed good. I have new tires and perfect alignment. The drive shaft was even recently replaced as a potential cause. 2 additional clues: my "suspension fault" light recently went on and when my mechanic checked it he says there were "a ton of codes" that he cleared...but not being a Land Rover dealer he didn't know what they all were. I saw one post where someone thought the cause was the electronic e-brake. Another car enthusiast I know thought maybe suspension system sensors could be the cause. Has anyone had this same issue and found the definitive cause/solution? Thanks

Last edited by Dutch Rover; 09-08-2019 at 07:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dicksoutforharambe (10-25-2023)
Old 09-13-2019, 02:27 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

There is a TSB for a vibration just before the trans shifts up a gear. That one is fixed by adding a weight onto the transfer case.

Could this vibration be before an up shift?

Old 09-15-2019, 05:37 AM
6th Gear

I dropped the car at the dealer the other day. They have found a fault for a height sensor but have not been able to replicate the vibration when they test drove the car. I'll ask them to check that out. thank you.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:40 AM
6th Gear

PS: is has been occurring (starting) at lower speeds and then won't go away regardless of what speed I get up to. It goes away if I stop the vehicle or take some turns. It has also started when I have been traveling at 60MPH... But I'll definitely check into the TSB. thanks

Old 05-19-2020, 11:03 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch Rover
PS: is has been occurring (starting) at lower speeds and then won't go away regardless of what speed I get up to. It goes away if I stop the vehicle or take some turns. It has also started when I have been traveling at 60MPH... But I'll definitely check into the TSB. thanks
Any update on what the issue was? I'm having the same issue

Old 05-20-2020, 05:35 AM
6th Gear

I may have mentioned that at one point during all this I got a height sensor fault. I took it to the dealer and had the faulty sensor replaced. The problem came back one or two after and then just went away. The problem has never returned. I'm not a technical person with respect to car electronics but I can only assume that the faulty sensor was sending random, bad signals to the vehicle leveling system. If you are not getting a sensor fault on the dashboard, it might be worth using a code reader to check for fault codes. Good Luck!

Old 10-14-2020, 02:04 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dutch Rover, i have almost exactly the same scenario. I too have a fresh front end, no evident signs of wheel bearing issues and intermittent also. I am having the tyres changed this week and was hoping it may be those.

I know that there is a hum coming from the tyres but not to the extent of the vibration i feel.

I've also noticed that one of the rear callipers has been sticky a couple of times so i may dig into that. Very interested to see what you come up with. Please post up anything you find? I'm very interested!

Old 10-19-2020, 09:56 AM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has your gas mileage gotten worse? I assume all the low hanging maintenance has been done engine wise like: clean air filters, cleaning MAF sensor, MAP sensor (just to make sure you’re getting proper air/fuel ratios), replaced spark plugs (have they been replaced even, good idea to do so), timing belt, etc. If your current mechanic doesn’t understand the codes, maybe look into a specialized shop, but I see you went to the dealer already and assume they did all I inspections above?

If you can share your error codes we can help better.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:39 PM
6th Gear

Sorry for the delay in responding, hopefully you have resolved the issue by now. Nothing different to report than in my previous thread: After I replaced a faulty height sensor, the problem has not returned.

Old 03-07-2022, 11:37 AM
2nd Gear

Same issue as OP. Except my intermittent vibration is only at highway speed. It will start like a wheel is falling off, won't go away unless I stop, go to park or reverse, and then continue. I've driven hundreds a miles with nothing, or I can't go 10 miles without it happening. Lately it's been more frequent. All new front end parts, checked driveshafts. Can't find the issue.

Until yesterday! I have a new theory, I noticed when vibration starts and I go to slow down that I also have a bad brake vibration. I set mirrors and noticed the left rear wheel shaking while I brake. So my new theory is a rear brake is hanging up and causing the shake. I had this happen before on a Subaru Outback. So ordered new rear rotors and pads and will report back

Quick Reply: Intermittent Vehicle Vibration