LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep it or sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 08:34 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep it or sell it?

Have a beautiful and super clean 2011 LR4 in Siberian silver (metallic blue). Have Bridgestone Blizzaks on the stock 19s and 20 inch Range Rover Supercharged wheels for the summer. It has about 61,000 miles on it and we can't decide if we should sell it as the warranty is up in May, or keep it and make my wife happy. It's hard not to want to keep such an awesome and clean vehicle. I work on my own vehicles but hard not to be concerned about owning Rover/Jag product out of warranty. BTY nearest dealer is four hours away because we live in the Marquette Michigan area.
Appreciate any advice.
BK

Old 09-11-2016, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

My opinion would be pick up a gap diagnostic tool so you can read every system in the trucks codes and enjoy your truck. These are not or grandfather's land rovers, they are pretty reliable these days.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 160 Likes on 127 Posts

Agreed. If you're handy with the tools get the workshop manual and diagnostics and stick with it. Our 2010 has 70k miles - the select service extended warranty ran out a year or so ago and it continues to soldier on without any issues

Old 09-13-2016, 01:16 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the responses. Still a little torn, but your opinions are helpful. Wife really wants to keep it. We shall see.
BK

Old 09-14-2016, 07:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

My 2011 has an aftermarket warranty until 75K. Might just get another warranty, you don't have to get a dealer warranty.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

What has been your warranty experiences so far?

A uper with an LR4....... What's going on up there that we trolls don't know about?

Old 09-15-2016, 09:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a lockout. Dealer said it was dead fob battery, but I had changed it twice. They reset keys and replaced fuel tank vent pump, since the light was on. I bought the LR4 HSE LUX from a Buick dealer ( they did not know about the LUX ) with 23K miles and original unused tires and wheels in back. Dealer did $800 worth of parts and work and all I had to pay was a $100 deductible. Cost me on purchase with vehicle $2800, wife not knowing we had dealer warranty to 50K and emissions and fuel items warranty to 100K. Very well satisfied with warranty. I do all maintenance at half dealer times and at 60K doing a full service even though the dealer say 75K.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:02 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ihscouts
What has been your warranty experiences so far?

A uper with an LR4....... What's going on up there that we trolls don't know about?
No warranty since we moved back up to the UP. We were living near Chillicothe Missouri for a very short time and Land Rover had no problem flat bedding it all the way to Kansas City Kansas for a new water pump. I'm pretty sure that we are going to keep it. We've been really good about keeping up on the service and will just hope for the best. I'll be checking out other extended warranties also.
Thanks again for everyone's input.

There's a lot of stuff we don't tell your trolls about. We would hate to have a bunch of people moving up here.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:43 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Gap diagnostic tool and a good set of wrenches will get you very far with this vehicle.

Also its just nuts and bolts nothing overly complicated.

Some advice since it has low mileage and now is the time for preventative maintenance on a level I didn't get to do.

Treat any rust spots underneath and keep everything protected(I just use oil based rustoleum for protection/Ospho for treatment). You do not want to replace a control arm with rusted bolts.

Don't wait for things to go wrong. Once you get the gap tool you can jack the suspension up to shocking heights allowing you to just roll underneath and have a look. You should have a look in between every oil change. Mostly just looking for regular leaks and dry rotted bushings(something i'm dealing with now).

Keep everything greased that needs greasing and try to keep the undercarriage clean. I personally just use a sprinkler like this
, put vehicle in off road mode and let the sprinkler do its thing. Its good because low pressure wont work its way into anything. Keeping it clean allows you to see if something is up and also prevent rust.

Buy a $60 compressor refresh kit(new dryer beads,etc) and do it now.. easy job and could save you big down the road.

I can't explain to you how important a GAP tool is if you do your own work.. I winced a bit when I saw the price tag and now consider it the most valuable "upgrade" i've made(by far).

Also if you sell the LR4 you'll lose your a$$ in depreciation but now is the time to make the call of selling it while its worth something or driving the wheels off of it. LR4's share many many of the same parts as the LR3 and I paid right around $7,500 for mine.. Something to think about.