LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key not recognised after antenna knocked off

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 07:36 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key not recognised after antenna knocked off

Hello, I'm a new owner of a 2015 Discovery 4 HSE, 1 week in an all was going well, until my wife knocked the GPS antenna off after clipping a height barrier. After driving the car home and parking up I tried to restart the car and received an error message stating "smart key not recognised". I have tried most of the suggestions I can find online, hold key to the under side of the steering column, discount re-connect the battery and replace the key fob batteries all with no success.

I was wondering if this is purely coincidental that it is not recognizing the key after the incident as I understand the antenna is for GPS and digital radio, struggling to comprehend how this is affecting key recognition? Is there a cambus type system that may have been affected by this incident?

I'm at my wits end, has anyone had similar issue or could make any suggestions over what I have already tried to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance. Gav.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:22 AM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Keyless Vehicle Module doesn't use GPS antenna. Completely separate system.

Try a second key. If you don't have a second key, get one as soon as this issue is resolved. Keys do go bad and without a backup, its a pain.

Next, check all the fuses. If the antenna was ripped off, it could have blown a fuse in the process.

Also, not sure if you saw online, but here is the exact location of the Immobilizer Antenna for backup

Old 10-15-2019, 05:53 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

You can find the location LR techniker points out as the column cover has three raised lines.

The following users liked this post:
LR Techniker (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 11:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

So what is the fix if the car isn't recognizing the key.

We have been starting the 2010 Range Rover Sport by holding it to the steering column for a month or so. I tried a hard reset, it didn't fix the problem. You have to hold the key for 15 to 30 seconds, then while still holding the key with your foot on the brake pedal, push the start button, release it and then push again. Sometimes, you have to hold it for a bit longer or try a couple of times. My heart always skips a beat then that happens. Another problem with the non-recognized key is that you cannot lock the vehicle......

We are trying to get to the dealer for a software update on the nav screen/radio control. They are booked for a couple of weeks.........Weirdest thing, it will randomly come on from time to time, screen lights up, radio image on and then the sound starts up. Last night I was driving to get some gas, the radio came on for about 4 minutes, a record. It then would come on for a minute or two and then shut down. Did that about 4 times in a two mile trip.

As I recall, the nav screen and radio went out before the key issue.

Phil

Old 10-17-2019, 05:54 AM
Winching

There is a TSB for an updated Keyless Vehicle Module (KVM) and/or Software. You need to know the hardware level of the KVM to see which avenue you need to pursue. The bulletin wasn't mentioned to the OP because it seemed to happen immediately after an "incindent", but could really apply to anybody with a "key not found" issue.

Technical Bulletin LTB00540NAS2 covers all models with Keyless (KVM Module) from 2010-2013 and also new Sports and full size for 2014. I don't have republishing rights to post it here, but if you search for the bulletin number, you might be able to find it.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:36 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

also, you could swap the battery for chits an giggles, but I think the immobilizer doesn't need it.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:59 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by abran
also, you could swap the battery for chits an giggles, but I think the immobilizer doesn't need it.
Normally you get a "battery low" message, but these things are so quirky, anything is possible. Definitely worth a shot. The battery is needed for "hands free" operation, otherwise you have to use the backup under the column.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Key not recognized issue fixed!

I saw a post regarding pulling number F17 fuse in the passenger footwell fuse panel. There was a YouTube posting included. Great video but the guy pulled fuse F5 by mistake, it didn’t fix his problem. I pulled F17, waited five minutes and reinserted F 17. Key now works perfectly

(as for the nav screen shutting down, no radio, no cameras etc., no change still off)

Great forum, thanks for the suggestions and input.

phil