Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

JUKE179r - Working on Myrtle the Turtle

Old 03-14-2019, 10:41 AM
Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
Default JUKE179r - Working on Myrtle the Turtle

Hopefully this is the correct thread to document my 2001 Disco 2 future maintenance projects.
I finally started a to-do list and it's almost a page long. Looking at it now I have a lot to do (*updated 6/6/19)...

HOT!!!:
- rear brake lights; add resistors in parallel because of LED bulbs
- cruise control; inspect vacuum pump and air lines, use Nanocom... “The ignition needs to be on stage II and depress the cruise control switch so it lights up before commencing diagnostics with the ECU”
- brake pads; check for uneven wear; sand off glazing
- brake system; flush/power bleed with ABS pump and Nanocom
- driveshafts; grease all 6 zerks
- steering UJ; try and grease with grease gun needle
- heater core; back flush/forward flush; check heater core connections in cabin; check for coolant leaks on passenger floorboard; install 5/8” clear hose for reverse flow of heater core
- spark plugs; check all 8 for .040” gap and clean off
- ignitor packs; check each ignitor cable for spark with tool
- Check or replace EFI ground strap on back of engine
- A-pillar trim; install plastic gutters; install screw mod; clean/paint windshield cowl plugs 2x
- power steering system; flush/bleed & add Lucas
- steering box; adjust steering play 1/16 turn
- power steering pump; flush fluid and add new low pressure hose
- SAI & vacuum system; smoke test including vacuum pump
- SAI system; check operability of pump & solenoid, check & replace with nylon tubing, clean filter
- MAF sensor, IAC valve, throttle body,& PVC
- replace worn tubing with silicone tubing
- rear door hinges and striker; reposition to stop water leak
- door window frames; bend to stop/tighten to stop draft
- clean out water drain holes under truck from sunroof
- coolant system; flush & replace with silicone coolant hoses and new pump w/ gasket
- ABS pump; recheck Option B wiring and ground point
- ABS sensor wiring; check, spray clean & grease all QD connections (possible 3-Amigos culprit right rear or left front?)
- electrical connector sockets; clean with contact cleaner and add dielectric grease
- ground points; check continuity between each point
- rear shocks; replace with TF179 shocks; 92ft/lbs bolts & 103ft/lbs lug nuts
- rear propshaft; replace UJ; balance at hi & low speeds
- mount fire extinguisher

Next up:
- bumpers, rock sliders & ladder; remove, sand, corrosion treat, paint, & reinstall
- engine pulley bearings ; remove/repack with grease; sand off glazing
- install hawse and synth winch cable
- wheel bearings; replace rt rear or front left (possible source of 3-Amigos)
- xyz switch; remove, clean out, regrease, seal & reinstall
- 75 lbs gas prop; add to bonnet, take pics of process
- Big 5 cable conversion
- ignition key sticks in tumbler
- driver’s pre-tensioner; install 2.2Ohm resistor & fuse for SRS fault; unplug yellow two pin plug under driver’s seat and install resistor in parallel with orange and orange/red wires (Fery) https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...23/#post563086
- ABS sensor wiring; extend 4-6” all around
- transmission sump; run engine, run through gears, check ATF level and add Lucas stop-slip
- install TD5 CDL mod
- windscreen; fill cracks on passenger side
- cracked lower windscreen cowl; replace or flex seal tape
- cracked tail door latch cover; replace
- wheel arches; sand and repaint
- wiper column switch; fix/clean out for sticking

When I can get to it:
- aux light relay; remove from engine bay; replace with relay mod and latching switch for aux lights
- kill switch install
- oil catch can install
- breather tubes; check for airway on transmission and both diffs… “Just push outer collar down and pull tube out, then blow it out with compressed air.” ; reroute upward for wading
- right rear door; repair clicking noise when closing/opening
- panhard rod; replace with beefier Terrafirma
- metal indicator covers; install on rear bumper
- reverse lights; rewire upper for lower turn signals

Last edited by JUKE179r; 06-06-2019 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:07 PM
Received 183 Likes on 162 Posts

What's this?
"oil catch can install"

Old 03-17-2019, 06:21 AM

Iím going to install an oil catch can on the RHD side of the V8 engine.
Iíve got everything I need for the install but I need to locate a good spot to mount it.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 03-17-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 615 Likes on 574 Posts

Good to see you starting a thread.

My oil catch can is a flat tray I park over

Old 03-23-2019, 01:43 PM
Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

This should be interesting

Old 03-24-2019, 03:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r View Post
- rewire upper reverse lights for lower turn signals
Why not swap out the rear corner panel and replace it with an earlier D1 item and you can have 4 on the back out of legit clusters and freak out so called D2 oficianados.

200Tdi getting 300Tdi rear bumper and extra tail lights

Old 03-25-2019, 03:05 AM

From what Iíve read the rear taillight assemblies mount different on the Disco 1 & 2. Iíve already got a rear steel bumper installed so Iíd still have to wire them up for turn signals vs. reverse lights on the Disco 2.
Honestly, I added that light swap to my list because I had 4 people rear end me in the Atlanta area. They kept saying they didnít see my rear turn signals on the bumper. The real reason they kept hitting me because they were tailgating and on their phone.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 03-25-2019 at 04:18 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:32 AM

I haven’t done much on Myrtle lately since working on my wife’s BMW X5. Much time spent on her 35d diesel removing the engine swirl flaps and blanking them off, thoroughly cleaning the intake manifold and EGR valve, removing the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) active tank to clean out the crystallization of DEF fluid and Seafoaming the diesel fuel system. Next up... blanking off the EGR valve and remove & cleaning the particulate filter. Fun fun fun...
Meanwhile, Myrtle is still being driven but has a stockpile of parts and maintenance for me to tackle when I get a break from the BMW.

Yesterday when I was waiting for my wife at her work, I was messing around with the Nanocom I found a P1416 fault code which pertains to my SAI system.

Searching various forums and reading the RAVE I found the SAI pump might be the culprit and could possibly going bad. I learned that I can remove the R6 relay in the engine bay and jump the socket terminals to activate the pump to verify it works without taking it all out and bench check it. I always thought R6 relay was for diesel engine glow plugs. It makes sense since I have a V8 but the glow plug relay was in place so it had to be used for some other electrical circuit.
I jumped the terminals 87 and 30 at the R6 relay socket and the pump barely turned over which confirmed the pump is going bad. Other forum members tried spraying WD40 or carb cleaner down the intake of the SAI pump to get it going again. I'll try that this weekend and report back. Most likely I'll probably end up tearing into it and check the bearings.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 06-06-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:22 AM

This weekend I installed my modified NRG oil catch can with some left over hoses onto my V8 and drove it for a couple of days already.
Itís still too early to see any pros or cons of doing this for a Disco. I noticed already that I need to add hoses that are more temperature resistant and mount the catch can in a better spot which means longer hoses. For now Itís too close to the exhaust manifold.
I also removed the Best 4x4 PCV valve mod (for now) and reinserted the original plastic valve back into the intake manifold. This was in case the catch can caused more of an air flow restriction.

Iíll give it a month to see what happens and report back.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 07-08-2019 at 09:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (07-10-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 615 Likes on 574 Posts

Nice looking catch can

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (07-10-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JUKE179r - Working on Myrtle the Turtle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.