LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To lift or not to lift...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 03:00 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To lift or not to lift...

In 2014 we purchased a 2010 LR4 HSE V8 with 55k miles. We now have 138k on it and aren't using it as a daily driver anymore although we still absolutely love it.

We've done quite a few repairs on it and have a great LR/Jaguar indy shop we use.
  • Timing repairs done by dealer under the extended warranty we bought @65k miles.
  • Brake line replacement @90k.
  • Front control arms.
  • AC compressor.
  • Replaced head unit for infotainment system.
  • Multiple brake rotor replacements (we drive fast and live in the mountains, cost of doing business).
I'd like to start wheeling this vehicle more and am trying to decide if lifting it would be worth it. I go on a trip to the Rubicon trail every year with a bunch of Jeep buddies, ideally I'd want to be able to take it out there.

I've been reading up on various forums and have seen posts about weak diffs. I've had a couple different friends break axles on the trail (prior to dana 44/60 upgrades) and am wondering if an LR4 is just not suitable for that level of wheeling. Is that the case?

If it's going to be prohibitively expensive to build it for that kind of terrain is it worth the expense and trouble of lifting it at all? Basically I'm trying to figure out if I should just get a set of 255/55r19 duratracs, call it good and stick to milder trails or go the lift and 18" wheel route. It's time for tires and I don't want to waste money on them yet if I'm going to modify and go with bigger ones.

Any input would be appreciated!
Lee

Old 12-08-2020, 11:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Will you need a lift to do the Rubicon trail? If not, don't. Changing suspension geometry puts more strain on the drivetrain, makes the vehicle more top-heavy and decreases MPGs. If you do require a lift, just get what you need...no more, especially since this is your DD. I don't think snapping axles is a huge problem, but that depends partly on how big of a lift but more so on the driver.

Last edited by Dan7; 12-14-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:57 PM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LR4 is pretty damn capable off of the lot. You can program additional lift with a GAP IID tool or LLAMS tool if you'd like, or use rods if you'd like a lift all the time. Best thing you can do is get some real AT or MT tires with 18" wheels. I fit 265/65 r18's on mine with no modifications and there's no rub. Best modification I've done to my LR4.

Old 12-09-2020, 02:03 PM
4wd High

Thank you for the responses!

Just to clarify, we are not using this vehicle as a daily driver anymore, we do use it when we need 3rd row seating though and don't want to mess up that amazing ride quality. I found a thread a while back on a couple guys who made it through the trail (can't remember if it was LR3's or 4's) on smaller tires. Apparently it was pretty brutal, very slow going and they had to constantly stop and stack rocks to be able to clear obstacles. I think I would need to go up to 33 or 34's to be able to keep pace with the Jeeps and I'm not sure how well the rest of the drivetrain would hold up to that.

These are the options I've come up with:

1. Get some Toyo Open Country AT3s in 255/60R19 (31'), buy a 5th rim and tire to replace the donut spare and work with that.

2. Get 5 18' rims and go up to 265/65R18 (31.5').

3. Go with the Proud Rhino SYA extension kit and figure out how big of tires I can get away with, probably would need the 18" rims with this option. I'm not comfortable with the possibility of an air suspension fault immobilizing the vehicle on the trail so no rod-only or electronic lift with big tires.

4. Option 1 or 2 with the IID tool for temporary lift.

What do you guys think? Pretty sure option 3 is the only one I would hit the Rubicon with.

Old 12-14-2020, 11:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If tackling the Rubicon trail is the objective, sounds like you've answered your own question, which switches this to a rim/tire dilemma.

Old 12-14-2020, 01:01 PM
4wd High

Yeah, I've come to realize that I would have to ruin the truck to be able to make it through and I would still have to beat the hell out of it. I'm going to stick to a milder mod for trail running and pick up a side by side that I'll use on the rubicon. I really don't want a jeep or toyota and the wife has decided we should get a CanAm lol.

Now I'm just trying to decide between Toyo 255/60r19 with no lift or Duratrac 255/65r19 with a lift. If I'm not going to get crazy with it I don't really want to spend the $ on rims.