LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 12:19 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New member here and looking into a 2015 LR4 w/ 47,000 miles on it and is a certified pre-owned which I believe is an additional 7 year/100,000 mile warranty on non-wear and tear items. I assume this is not the extended warranty?

Does anyone have more experience with the 2015s? Should I be worried?

I want to upgrade to an SUV but don't want to get myself in a hole. I currently have a flawless 2011 BMW 550i but since it's a RWD and I would like a larger vehicle with the new baby...I want to upgrade to an SUV. I have always loved boxy SUVs so the LR4 is right up my alley when it comes to styling but am I making a horrible decision...again, with the new baby and house...I do not want to get myself in a bind.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by virtualbong
New member here and looking into a 2015 LR4 w/ 47,000 miles on it and is a certified pre-owned which I believe is an additional 7 year/100,000 mile warranty on non-wear and tear items. I assume this is not the extended warranty?

Does anyone have more experience with the 2015s? Should I be worried?

I want to upgrade to an SUV but don't want to get myself in a hole. I currently have a flawless 2011 BMW 550i but since it's a RWD and I would like a larger vehicle with the new baby...I want to upgrade to an SUV. I have always loved boxy SUVs so the LR4 is right up my alley when it comes to styling but am I making a horrible decision...again, with the new baby and house...I do not want to get myself in a bind.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Get the longest and most comprehensive warranty/extra warranty possible. They aren't unreliable but if things go, it is not always (or ever) cheap. Somehow they designed the V6 to have a PCV that's $1300 to change... Are you DIY enough to do normal work like oil changes, brake work, etc.?

Most of the systems have the kinks worked out, I would say it is a very good car especially on CPO if you have a warranty. Drives nice, very comfortable for passengers, traction control modules make them very good off road.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:58 AM
2nd Gear

Is cpo the most comprehensive?

I think it still has 2,000 miles of original warranty since it hasn't hit 50,000

Originally Posted by DavC
Get the longest and most comprehensive warranty/extra warranty possible. They aren't unreliable but if things go, it is not always (or ever) cheap. Somehow they designed the V6 to have a PCV that's $1300 to change... Are you DIY enough to do normal work like oil changes, brake work, etc.?

Most of the systems have the kinks worked out, I would say it is a very good car especially on CPO if you have a warranty. Drives nice, very comfortable for passengers, traction control modules make them very good off road.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:47 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lr4

2012 with 30k miles, no problems, but everyone knows what they are getting with a Rover. Maintenance is important and you will have problems. If that bothers you, run fast and buy a Chevrolet.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

The Cpo is about as good as other extended coverage. It's not a warranty - as you note it covers a lot of items but typically not wear items, trim, gaskets, bushings etc. so worth having but won't cover everything
If you're coming from a BMW 5 series then you will be familiar with costs of parts and labor hours - like other luxury vehicles it's not cheap. The Cpo will give you peace of mind
Note you can get different lengths and mileage. The 7 years is usually from in service date, not from when you purchase - so check to make sure

Old 07-18-2018, 10:38 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mason319
I asked this exact question on this board about 3 months ago when I was looking at the LR4. I needed something with three rows and was looking at the Infiniti JX, MB GL450 and the Lexus GX460. I came within an inch of buying a GL450 until I really looked into the reliability of that truck, it was horrific. Made the LR look as reliable as a Camry.
I pulled the trigger at the end of December on a 2012 LR4 HSE executive demo with 9K miles on it. So far after 4,500 miles I've been incredibly happy with it, no complaints and no issues. Like everyone else, the gas mileage is pretty poor. I think I had a few folks from Greenpeace picketing my car in my driveway the other day... I'm averaging about 17.5mpg in a true mix of city & highway driving which I suppose isn't horrible for a truck this size & weight.
Based on a bad experience with a Disco I had about 11 years ago I made them CPO my LR4. I'm covered until 2018 or 100K miles. I'll be curious to see how she holds up after 50K miles but so far so good. I'm very happy I went in this direction.
It's 2018 bud. How are you feeling with your decision now? I'm looking at buying a used one. Any pointers on issues? What to look for in a used LR4?

Old 07-18-2018, 10:41 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Buckybadger
well its been quite awhile since i was on this forum - but a recent inquiry has made me want to update my experience(s) with the LR4.
Here it goes....
I have had 2 LR4's (2010 and my present 2014). While you can read my previous rant about the '10 it is now fair to say that my '14 is absolutely FLAWLESS. Not 1 issue since new (may of 2014). Not a rattle, not a glitch with electronics, brakes, radio --- zippo - perfect vehicle!
The new engine in the LR4 as of '14 (SC V6) is sweet -- and if i don't go 80 mph i can get about 19-20 mpg on the open road. The truck is a dream to drive and most of the time my wife wants to drive it - but i also use for hauling and pulling without hesitation. The LR4 looks great on a night on the town or working. Its hard to beat the utility of this vehicle either - recently had the vehicle full with myself and 6 other grownups and everyone was comfortable -- the third row is as good as you will find anywhere ----
The only way i would consider another vehicle is if the LR4 is available with the diesel within the next couple of years -- otherwise this truck is my "forever" vehicle.
Hopes this helps anyone considering purchasing a LR4 ( i would however say to get the V6 as opposed to the V8, or in other words 2014 or later) ---
Links to your rants on the 2010 LR4?

Old 08-26-2018, 03:04 PM
Winching
Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Keep in mind something about these reports: People who buy high end luxury cars tend to buy new with warranty or used as CPO or with extended warranty and as such, take them to the dealer for repairs.

Are some of these items small things? Maybe, maybe not,but they are VERY complex. Compared to a Toyota Camry or Honda Civic, there is a lot more that can me an annoyance to a luxury car owner. I am sure the service manager at the Honda dealer rarely hears some one complaining that the red suspension error light is on, or it says something about a steering angle calibration, or why is the parking brake stuck (again).

Your on the right track. Read the reports, see what is actually broke, and come to places like this, and ask REAL owners what they think. Obviously we will be biased toward a purchase, but then again, maybe not.

Either way, good luck with your purchase.

Jeff

Old 06-03-2019, 09:31 PM
1st Gear
Default The LR4 is the worst car I have ever owned!

I bought a 2012 LR4 with 30k miles on it. I also purchased an extended warranty just in case.

At 50k miles, the bushings and the front control arms went. Rust also formed on the roof rail slot at 60k and I had that repaired which costed about $1000.

At 65k the fuel pump and water pump went. At 70k another water pump and the rest of the engine cooling system. I’m at 73k now and I had the MAP sensor had to be replaced and I’m currently dealing with a fuel management system problem causing me to get 12.8mpg.

The point is, Land Rovers look cool, I grew up with them in South Africa but the truth is, they are horrible cars to own and I couldn’t in good conscience tell someone to buy one. Maybe a D90 or 110 TDI but do not get a modern Land Rover, you’re just throwing money away in my opinion!

Old 06-04-2019, 04:49 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update on mine:
Bought new in 2012, an HSE. Just clocked past 80,000 km (50,000 miles) and it’s still a tank. Only thing needing replacing so far was the compressor motor for the suspension. Apart from that, just the regular wear and tear on brakes.

Quick Reply: LR4 Reliability