LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 06:58 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation LR4 Transmission Problems

Hi, so I brought my LR4 in last week for a visor replacement but my dealer decided to replace a trans pan under one of the new bulletins. I drive home after the dealer having the car for a week and the vehicle doesn’t seem to be shifting properly and fees like it will stall on turns. Service department says to keep an eye on it and let them know if anything changes. Next day get a transmission fault and car won’t move nor go into neutral to be able to be moved. Faults like 10 times and has to get towed. Can’t Tow because can’t get into neutral. Finally get the car into gear and able to be towed. Land Rover can’t find any of the faults in the system and just perform a TCM update. Thoughts???

Old 01-13-2018, 10:04 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is always useful to know where you live and what year and model you have.

My guess: they found what they did wrong when they changed the pan, fixed it and told you "can't find anything wrong, now!" Some ZF guy will weigh in, but maybe forgot a quart or two . . . or didn't seat the valve.

Last edited by Jhartz; 01-13-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Overlanding

2014 LR4 HSE Lux black pack 20 inch. I’m still worried because the car now has some lag in shifting gears. But before I wasn’t even able to get the car into gear, not even neutral.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:33 PM
Overlanding

It was a trans fault code p10707-77

Old 01-15-2018, 04:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

If it’s not like it was before it was brought in the first time, I’d be all over the dealer to get it straightened out. Sounds like they made a mistake and are hoping for the best. Not really cool in my book.
Honesty is key. Especially if they want repeat business

Old 02-01-2018, 06:58 PM
Overlanding

Got in truck again this morning after weeks of having intermittent problems with car not driving properly however today the car had transmission faults again. Wouldn’t even go into neutral. Anyone have any ideas. This was a problem ever since that trans pan bulletin. It was towed in and they claim can’t find the faults in the system.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:09 AM
Overlanding

Dealership now claims that keyless vehicle module low voltage contributing to transmission problems. Is this even heard of?

Old 02-05-2018, 11:41 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I would make an appt to meet with the service manager and have him show you how they are coming up with this diagnosis.

If his story holds water, get him to put in writing that the fix they are quoting you will resolve the trans problem or you get a full refund.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:59 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had the same fault on my 3, what caused it for me was a bit of spilled water on the transmission shifter. Got down the the electrics and threw a Christmas tree of codes and lights. They replaced the shifter and I was on my way.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:34 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

It sounds like a dealer mistake, I'm afraid it does sound like the 'bending ball' scenario. Yep, the early ZF pans need replacing on the earlier LR4's but it sounds more suspicious than that, I reckon they have either put the wrong ATF in the trans or they haven't followed the correct procedure when refilling.

Get them to print out the exact codes and take them away with you and get them to fix the trans correctly. If you assume most dealers and mechanics are half wits you'd be over stating their abilities.

The following users liked this post:
Carpenc (03-08-2021)

Quick Reply: LR4 Transmission Problems