LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 vs RRS Opportunity Recommendations Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 12:44 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR4 vs RRS Opportunity Recommendations Please

Hello all,

First off, thank you in advance for any help in making this decision. I have read various comparisons but none that are directly helping me make my decision—which ultimately I know is a very personal one.

It is time to part with my beloved 2013 LR2. I have a friend who has both a 2011/2012 (I’ve yet to get clarity on exactly which year) LR4 (5.0 8cyl) with only 15k miles on it, as well as a 2014 Range Rover Sport (6cyl supercharged) with 25k miles. He would like to keep only one. Both have been treated very well and maintained well. The cost to purchase either with be minimal and the same, I simply need to choose.

I have a sweet spot for the LR4s. I do use my trucks for off-road use as well as daily driving, and I also sometimes tow a small trailer and carry a variety of sporting equipment (bikes, kayaks, paddle boards). This will be my new main daily driver and fun vehicle (in addition to a 4x4 VW Syncro Camper) I want it to be my main do it all vehicle. I live in the mountains and often need to transport ‘things’. My emotional side says choose the LR4, it’s classic, I prefer the looks, the cargo space, really everything about it except for one thing—it’s gas mileage. I drive about 65 miles round trip to work 4 days. My question, which would you choose given this situation? I’m just flat out stuck. It’s a good problem to have but I’d like to come to a decision! Can you make an argument for either for me? My wife has a CRV, so I’d also like to bring diversity into our family line up. I do like the RRS, and it has a few more modern conveniences like Bluetooth and some creature comforts that are nice for road tripping, but not essential, it’s fancier and probably worth more at present, and get reasonable mpg. Ultimately, I WANT the LR4, but what is the smart choice here?

Thoughts?

Last edited by RanRover; 07-05-2021 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-05-2021, 02:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I have the 2016 LR4 (so, the same engine as the RRS you are looking at). The difference in real world gas mileage between the SCV6 and the V8 is minimal - maybe 2-3 mpg, from what I’ve read. Before I switched to AT tires, I was getting like 15-16 mpg mixed driving. With the AT tires, I’m getting 13-14 mpg. So, I don’t see mpg as being a big factor.

The main difference in the engines is that you lose about 35 hp with the SCV6 over the V8. The other drawback (in my mind) with the SCV6 is that the supercharger makes repairs on the top of the engine more complex.

On the other hand, the 2011/2012 LR4 might have the dreaded timing chain issue. With only 15K on it, you might not be able to tell. I’d get the VIN and find out if it falls within the range of cars that had the plastic chain guides. They apparently changed to metal guides sometime in the middle of 2012. If you have the plastic guides, good chance you’re going to have a timing chain issue at some point in the not so distant future. I’ve seen people reporting costs as high as $6-$10K for this repair.

So, personally, I’d avoid the LR4 if it has the old timing chain parts. If it doesn’t have the old timing chain parts, then the only reason I see to get the RRS is if you want the newer/fancier car.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

We have had them both. My wife really misses the LR4, especially when kids come to town. Mileage, as mentioned, is about a toss up. I am currently driving the Range Rover Sport as a daily driver. If it were up to me and I could only take one, I would opt for the LR4. The timing chain guide issues, I am told are somewhat overblown and impact the SC version more than the normally aspirated versions. I have never seen any actual data on that however. We have two 2010. One with 90k and the other with 131k. Neither of them seem to have the timing chain guide issues, knock on wood........All the best. Hard to make a wrong choice. Both great vehicles. Phil

Old 07-06-2021, 02:55 PM
Rock Crawling

It might well be the case that the timing chain issue is overblown, but they were using aluminum guides, had a lot of problems with them, and redesigned with steel inserts. I’ve done a ton of reading in various forums, and the only time I’ve seen a report of early failure in the scv6 was on a facebook post by a mechanic as I recall. I don’t think the sc cars really have much of a timing chain issue - and certainly not to the extent the affected V8 models did. Maybe a sporadic failure here and there, but not a significant issue.

Last edited by jlglr4; 07-07-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

good point, just for clarification, I was referring to the 2010-2013 V8 models normal and Supercharged and the timing chain guide issues. Not the 2014 and newer models. thanks, Phil

Old 07-07-2021, 01:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
good point, just for clarification, I was referring to the 2010-2013 V8 models normal and Supercharged and the timing chain guide issues. Not the 2014 and newer models. thanks, Phil
Got it - forgot about the SCV8s, but your right - they would have the same problem.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:18 PM
7th Gear

Thank you all for your detailed and considerate thoughts!

Old 07-08-2021, 07:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

They're fundamentally different vehicles with considerable similarities and ****les.

The LR4 is about the most practical 4x4 out there and certainly the most practical LR have ever made. The RRS is a better drive but holds far less. It's more comfy but the LR4 is pretty good.

I've driven both, have had maybe a dozen LR3 or LR4 (so I'm biased) and find the LR3 and 4 to be the best vehicle I've had. It's a LR so it has it's problems as has been said above. Both are OK to work on, although I've never worked on the 5L. At the mileages you're talking about I'd pick the LR4 all day long because they're SOOOOOOO different. I'd have thought it's pretty easy to decide after that.

Old 07-10-2021, 10:29 AM
7th Gear

Just updating that I got word the LR4 is a 2011, all else is the same.