LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need 2011 LR4 Want Start Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 10:32 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank You for your response! Unfortunately dealerships don't tell you this when they sale you these older cars from their dealerships.So we are still trying to find a shop or mechanic that is willing to take the time to troubleshoot our 2011 LR4 engine to see why it will not cranking, it has not overheated due to low coolant, it has not made any loud banging noises and we have not had any issues with the oil which are some of the top reasons the LR4 engine would go out. So we are having a hard time believing that the engine has seized.

Our LR4 was running without any issues until we got the brakes and rotors changed but the brakes not bleed, the low battery light came on and we replaced the battery, when we press the start button everything lights up like it is ready to crank, but the brake worn error message shows because it is not sensing the brakes.
We also heard that it could possibly be a safety switch that is keeping the LR4 from cranking....We are just trying to rule out all of the possible reasons before giving in to replacing the entire engine or salvaging the LR4.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Brake bleeding's quite easy to do for any mechanic, there's nothing unique here. The brake worn message has nothing to do with the no crank, it's likely the wear sensors which are supposed to be replaced when the pads are replaced.

Old 02-27-2023, 11:15 AM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PamelaB
Hello All,
This is my first time posting on this forum, I usually just read your posts on topics that I am having issues with as well but I desperately need your help and advice.

My husband and I purchased our 2011 LR4 Land Rover from the Land Rover dealership in Greensboro, NC in 2018. It had previously had only 1 owner and had about 106,000 miles on it when we purchased it, but the dealership told us that we would easily get over 300,000 miles and several more years out of it. Well to make a long story short we started having issues with the LR4 the first year, but we liked it so much and couldn’t believe that the dealership would sell us a lemon so we kept it.

In 2021 we had to get the 4 control arms replaced and the axels and boot’s replaced. We we’re getting the front brakes and rotors replaced last month after the brakes worn message came on but before the mechanic could bleed the brakes another like came on saying low battery and the LR4 started having issues cranking so we bought a new battery, but we couldn’t get it cranked anymore. We thought that it was because the brakes need to be pressed in order to start the LR4.

Unfortunately we had to get the LR4 towed to a shop. The Land Rover dealership lied and refused to take it saying that they longer work on vehicles older than 2015 models even though they sold us the LR4. When we finally got an appointment the shop put the LR4 on a diagnostic machine and said that the engine was locked up and needed to be replaced for $30,000.

Have anybody heard of an Land Rover engine going out in 11 years?
Please Help!!! Any advice about this option of getting it repaired or other options?
PamelaB, very sorry to hear about your issues. While it sucks that your dealer won't service the truck anymore (!), you are definitely better off sourcing one of these reliable LR-knowledgeable independent mechanics in your area. Given that Indie #1 Eurobahn is claiming it's a $30K fix (BTW, you can do it for about $15K with a rebuilt motor), seems totally worth it to spend the extra dollars to tow it to one or the other of these other ones and get that second opinion you're waiting on.

As for your question "how can an 11 year old truck have an engine failure"....it's a Land Rover. Heck, many of the newer 2017+ Discoveries engines are dying too. Unfortunately, they have their reputation for a reason. Only way to manage around it is to have a really great indie mechanic who can give it lots of love, care, and attention and keep it in top shape.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-04-2023, 03:40 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LR4 Advice

Originally Posted by Troyan2019
PamelaB, very sorry to hear about your issues. While it sucks that your dealer won't service the truck anymore (!), you are definitely better off sourcing one of these reliable LR-knowledgeable independent mechanics in your area. Given that Indie #1 Eurobahn is claiming it's a $30K fix (BTW, you can do it for about $15K with a rebuilt motor), seems totally worth it to spend the extra dollars to tow it to one or the other of these other ones and get that second opinion you're waiting on.

As for your question "how can an 11 year old truck have an engine failure"....it's a Land Rover. Heck, many of the newer 2017+ Discoveries engines are dying too. Unfortunately, they have their reputation for a reason. Only way to manage around it is to have a really great indie mechanic who can give it lots of love, care, and attention and keep it in top shape.

Let us know how it goes.
Hello,

Thanks for sharing the information about the Discoveries that helps me to not even think about purchasing one of them in the future. Unfortunately we have not made any progress with getting my 2011 LR4 repaired, it is currently sitting at a shop name Gate City Imports in Greensboro, NC waiting for the shop owner to find some time to try to bleed the breaks to see if that is affecting the engine from starting and then do some other diagnostics. The other shops that we have contacted other than Eurobahn which I truly believe tried to rip us off and got over on us with a $423 diagnostic fee that involved them trying to turn the engine by hand only. We also spoke with someone at Foreign Accents and Trask Auto in Greensboro both claim that they were unable to do anything with our LR4 after other mechanics recommended them. We also was in touch with Performance Rovers in Indian Trail that agreed to look at the LR4, but then changed their minds after the rep at Eurobahn took it upon himself to call them to tell them that they thought the engine was seized.

Troyon2019 you mentioned that we could get the LR4 engine repaired with a rebuilt engine which I am fine with because we are dealing with a new engine that went out in 11 years so why not take a chance with a rebuilt one.You also said that you thought that it would be well worth it and I feel that way as well. So could you send me those mechanics names?

Old 03-04-2023, 04:35 PM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PamelaB
Hello,

Thanks for sharing the information about the Discoveries that helps me to not even think about purchasing one of them in the future. Unfortunately we have not made any progress with getting my 2011 LR4 repaired, it is currently sitting at a shop name Gate City Imports in Greensboro, NC waiting for the shop owner to find some time to try to bleed the breaks to see if that is affecting the engine from starting and then do some other diagnostics. The other shops that we have contacted other than Eurobahn which I truly believe tried to rip us off and got over on us with a $423 diagnostic fee that involved them trying to turn the engine by hand only. We also spoke with someone at Foreign Accents and Trask Auto in Greensboro both claim that they were unable to do anything with our LR4 after other mechanics recommended them. We also was in touch with Performance Rovers in Indian Trail that agreed to look at the LR4, but then changed their minds after the rep at Eurobahn took it upon himself to call them to tell them that they thought the engine was seized.

Troyon2019 you mentioned that we could get the LR4 engine repaired with a rebuilt engine which I am fine with because we are dealing with a new engine that went out in 11 years so why not take a chance with a rebuilt one.You also said that you thought that it would be well worth it and I feel that way as well. So could you send me those mechanics names?
I'm only speaking from having read way too many (thousands) of posts on all of the LR forums. The numbers I've heard there as well as my own (good) local Indie mechanics here in California have ranged from $12K-$15K all-in (engine+labor). But again you're in NC so it will be up to your local shops to make their own call.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck. This must be incredibly frustrating and disheartening. Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-07-2023, 10:15 PM
guy
Winching
Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts

Firstly, it sounds as if the vehicle was not continually sufficiently maintained.
1. Control arms may need replacing as the bushings do wear. The dealer will replace the control arms, an Inde may replace just the bushings. But its odd that all 4 corners would go at once.
2. Boots do wear and need to be dealt with shortly or, axle replacements may occur as the grease will fall out, seals will crack, dirt will get in…
3. If the battery is low, purchasing a new one may be necessary. Charging it fully a must. Rarely are new batteries fully charged. Once fully charged and after sitting idle all night, they should read 12.6 v in the morning. Modern vehicles are heavily dependent on a good electrical source.
4. Any shop that cannot bleed brakes is a shop I would get the vehicle away from as quickly as possible. Bleeding the brakes goes hand in hand IMMEDIATELY following any brake service.
5. “Engine locked up” is not a technical situation. If I may suggest,
a. Disconnect both battery leads from the battery.
b. Charge the battery fully with a modern battery charger.
c. Allow to sit overnight. It must show 12.6 v in the morning.
d. Only if it is good, reconnect the battery.
e. With foot off the brake, depress and hold depressed the start button
f. once the dings and chimes subside, then fully depress the brake. Ahh…. it sounds as if those doing the brakes are amateurs… “Can” the brake pedal be depressed??

If this does not start it, a deeper analysis with JLR SDD is needed. Only a good shop specializing in Jags and LRs will do.
”Also, running without issue until we got the brakes done” makes no sense to me. Unless the vehicle was deactivated (security setting) or the main fuse was blown…but then you would not have the start up lights.

Perhaps a time for a lawyer as well?? You dropped it off running. And now it isn’t.

Last edited by guy; 03-08-2023 at 06:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jahummer (03-08-2023)