LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New AMK Compressor is EXPOSED, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 02:52 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New AMK Compressor is EXPOSED, thoughts?

My 2010 LR4 with 101k just lost the suspension compressor (well, actually just repeated error codes). Tried the easy relay fix, my independent mechanic wouldn't entertain the other fixes, so NEW $900 AMK. $1440 al lin. He say's much better than OEM.

Anyway, to my shock, it's not encased in original plastic casing. Took it back and my mechanic said it is not allowed on the new AMK. Gave me the paperwork and he's right.

My worry is that I live on a dirt road, and pretty avid 4 wheeler. Does anyone have experience with new AMK? Besides wondering if dirt, mud and water will foul it, the three bolts seem perfect for catching on a bench in Canyonlands and ripping whole compressor off.

Interested in experience or thoughts.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:30 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

It is my understanding that the AMK comes with a new case.

call Erik at Lucky8, I think they can supply them.

The following users liked this post:
WNYErikDiscoII (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 10:09 AM
4th Gear
Default Nope, no case available for AMK Compressor

Just spoke with the Arnott folks and they claim there is no aftermarket case available. Suggested my concerns and he said they have not had problems. They offer "lifetime warrenty", but it is to my installer. So going to have to chance it and if it fails from gunk in take, hope my mechanic honors the same warranty as Arnott made it clear the warrenty applies to my mechanic.

May still call Lucky 8, maybe Arnott just doesn't know that they are making one, although that sounds odd.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Did your mechanic charge you $900 for an Arnott AMK lookalike? I'm confused here. You say you were buying an AMK, but you called Arnott for the warranty. $1440 all in, is this what your mechanic charged for parts and labor?

Arnott doesn't supply the case because it isn't OEM. If it was, then they would have the case. Every OEM AMK compressor sold comes with a new case and the install adaptation lines if needed (when applying to older models) I would not run my truck with the compressor exposed even if they paid me to. Sure, the warranty is nice but it does you no good when you're in the middle of nowhere and it takes a **** due to exposure. Does their warranty cover the tow expense?

Old 09-29-2016, 02:51 PM
4th Gear
Default Now _really_ confused

Are you saying that they sold me a bad part, e.g. not LR compliant?

Please see the attached photos, as AMK P-2645 appears to be the PART, made by the company Arnott. Everywhere I looked, AMK was what people we're using to replace the older compressor (Hitachi?) models...

Attached Thumbnails New AMK Compressor is EXPOSED, thoughts?-amk-p-2645-compressor.jpg   New AMK Compressor is EXPOSED, thoughts?-amk-cover-warning.jpg  
Old 09-30-2016, 12:57 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The original OE Pump was made by Hitachi. It had reliability issues so Arnott uses AMK compressors which are a different size so they don't fit under the Rover cover. Arnott assembles this pump in the USA with a vehicle-specific support bracket for a fast and easy installation. The compressor comes with an integrated air dryer unit, 18-piece vibration isolator kit, new air line fittings, electrical connection, compressor pressure hose and a new compressor relay. All Arnott compressors are now backed by a limited lifetime warranty (which covers the part).

Old 10-01-2016, 01:44 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by arnottdoug
The original OE Pump was made by Hitachi. It had reliability issues so Arnott uses AMK compressors which are a different size so they don't fit under the Rover cover. Arnott assembles this pump in the USA with a vehicle-specific support bracket for a fast and easy installation. The compressor comes with an integrated air dryer unit, 18-piece vibration isolator kit, new air line fittings, electrical connection, compressor pressure hose and a new compressor relay. All Arnott compressors are now backed by a limited lifetime warranty (which covers the part).
why don't they come with a cover?

edit, the better question is can you supply a cover? I have looked at the Arnott compressors several times and wondered about the cover. If you could supply one I think that would make your compressor more competitive.

Last edited by abran; 10-01-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:08 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
why don't they come with a cover?

edit, the better question is can you supply a cover? I have looked at the Arnott compressors several times and wondered about the cover. If you could supply one I think that would make your compressor more competitive.
Because a genuine cover costs $189 with the new hardware, which puts their compressor into the same territory as if you were to buy a new genuine one from the dealer

Old 10-03-2016, 10:12 PM
4wd Low

So how does the Arnott AMK compressor with no noise suppression cover compare noise wise to the Hitachi with the cover? I can hear my Hitachi compressor over the engine at idle sitting in the driver seat, window down. I know the cover is not waterproof, but makes a good splash shield.

Anyone have one installed to comment?

Old 10-05-2016, 07:44 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I see apples being compared to oranges here. Yes, the old OE compressor was Hitachi. However, the NEW OE compressor is AMK and comes with a cover (at a higher price).

I can't say one method is better than the other because I have never installed one that didn't have a cover, only OE on these chassis.

FWIW, if you are switching from Hitachi to AMK, you need a software update.

Quick Reply: New AMK Compressor is EXPOSED, thoughts?