LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

posted in the wrong forum coolant complaint

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2021 | 04:34 PM
|
2nd Gear
Unhappy posted in the wrong forum coolant complaint

Apparently there is a manufacturer problem with the low coolant level warning

The low level coolant level warning comes on less than minute whilst driving and then disappears into the log history which is retrieved by toggling the menu switch or when you restart the car.

The above is a serious design flaw because if you're driving on the highway you are likely to miss the warning and will be dangerous to toggle the menu switch when cruising at highway speeds. Within minutes you are at risk of incurring high engine temperature and potentially engine malfunction.

In my case I lost all engine power and had to bring the car to a safe place to stop before calling a recovery truck to drop off the car at the JLR Dealership.

The JLR dealership diagnose the problem to a low coolant level and claim I did not stop the car immediately onto a side slip road. JLR in Saudi Arabia defined this as and act of 'misuse' which has led to the consequential engine to melt.

Cut a long story short, they are want me to pay for the coolant hoses and they will replace the engine under extended warranty. But the cost of replacing 18 engine bay hoses is around $5000 which I am not happy with...as I am being charged for something which is not my fault.

I have conducted some further internet research and found exactly similar engine malfunctions occurring on highways in UK and US due to coolant system malfunctions and / or insufficient low level coolant warning display on the dashboard.

Warranty providers in the US and UK replaced the engine and ancillaries without cost to the customer whereas in Saudi Arabia they blame the customer under the definition of misuse.

Manufacturer should take responsibility to ensure all critical parts categorized as 'A' should display a continuous audible warnings for critical part failure until driver deactivates the warning themselves to ensure driver is fully aware and takes preventative measures to safe guard the car and himself and other road users from harm.

There are reports on this issue dating back to 2012 and they are recurring on the latest 2019, 2020 models too.

Last edited by UKLR$; 07-02-2021 at 04:35 PM. Reason: allow replies
Old 07-13-2021 | 05:42 PM
Pro Wrench

Yeah not to thread jack but I had a 2016 L494 and got a low coolant warning. And a 2010 and 2013 RRS that had these warnings you mention. It's not that hard to see - it does bury in the menu but the little yellow triangle STAYS UP so it's not like you aren't aware there is an issue. I think you're whining about something that's your own fault dude.