LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 06:46 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal

I am trying to replace my power steering pump (LR4 V8 NAS spec), it is accessed through the left front wheel well with the inner liner removed. I have the three bolts removed that hold the pulley to the pump but cannot get the pulley to come off. WSM does not mention anything about using a puller, and it would be almost impossible to get a puller in place without removing a lot of parts. I don't think it is pressed on anyway. I have applied a bit of leverage between the pump housing and the pulley but it will not move. Is it rusted on? Has anyone else removed this pulley? It has to come off to access two of the bolts that hold the pump housing on to the engine. I have some penetrating oil soaking on it overnight, may be it will come off in the morning (hopeful)!

Update.......

So the pulley came off this morning, but unfortunately prying damaged it. I saw no other way to remove it. A new one is only $30.00 so has been ordered.

A few notes for when replacing the power steering pump
1. WSM says to evacuate the A/C system so you can them remove one of the A/C lines that appears to be in the way. You can work around it, so no need to evacuate the system.
2. Purchase a new pulley when replacing the pump as you may well damage it trying to get it off.
3. The pump housing sits between two ear lugs on the engine block, before you attempt to fit the new pump file a small chamfer on the edges of the lugs on the pump housing, that way it will slide between the mounting lugs with less effort.
4. Don't forget to purchase two new banjo bolt seals, part number LR020213.
5. I have flushed the system using the no engine run method, front of vehicle jacked up, fill reservoir with fresh fluid and keep it topped up throughout the process. Put the return line into a waste catch vessel, turn steering wheel lock to lock until you get fresh fluid coming out of the return line.
6. I decided to use AC Delco cold climate power steering fluid, part number 12345867. Not super expensive like the LR brand and seams to get good reviews, time will tell.

Last edited by gr8tr8; 09-11-2022 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:31 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know the part number for the pulley on the power steering pump? I've been trying to find it. Or what it's called?