LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about the factory hitch receiver

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 01:15 PM
JWA
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the factory hitch receiver

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought the newest style (shorter) hitch receiver for my LR4. When I seat it up into the receptacle in the bumper, the release pin at the top compresses and the larger locking pin at the back extends, but it looks like it's only coming out about 1/4" and just catching on the hole in the bumper that it goes into. I then can't remove the orange key from the green locking handle no matter what I do.

However, if I manually push in the release pin, the locking pin comes out closer to 2" and then I can rotate the green handle clockwise until it's vertical, meaning that the "1 -> 2 rotate" graphic that's on the green handle is no longer visible as it is facing the front of the vehicle. I can then rotate the orange key counter-cliockwise much further than when it's in the vehicle and remove it.

When I put the receiver into the receptacle in the bumper, how far out should the locking pin extend? How far forward should I be able to rotate the green handle? I'm thinking that i'm not getting it up into the receptacle high enough and the locking pin is just catching - which would NOT be good when I actually put a trailer on it.

Thanks.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:10 AM
JWA
6th Gear

Has anyone used the factory hitch receiver? I need to sort this out by Friday when I'm planning to tow a car.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Clearly you have an obstruction in the female side. The receiver should work, when inserted fully, the same as it does in the open air. Fully extended and able to remove the key. Try cleaning the female end with a paper towel and WD 40 to remove all dirt, rust and obstruction. Then insert it fully, no need to be gentle, get all the way in, then try turning the key.

I don't have the new one: using the same old style on all four vehicles -- but assuming it works the same, it is absolutely critical that you pull the green handle all the way out and turning it to pull the locking pin all the way into the receiver before inserting it.

Last edited by Jhartz; 04-18-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:15 AM
JWA
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Jhartz
Clearly you have an obstruction in the female side. The receiver should work, when inserted fully, the same as it does in the open air. Fully extended and able to remove the key. Try cleaning the female end with a paper towel and WD 40 to remove all dirt, rust and obstruction. Then insert it fully, no need to be gentle, get all the way in, then try turning the key.

I don't have the new one: using the same old style on all four vehicles -- but assuming it works the same, it is absolutely critical that you pull the green handle all the way out and turning it to pull the locking pin all the way into the receiver before inserting it.
Thanks for the info. That's interesting that you say it should extend the same as when open air. I'd think so given that the opening that it goes into has no back, but then someone posted this pic in response to this question on one of the other forums:

Question about the factory hitch reciever | Land Rover and Range Rover Forums

When mine is open air the green handle rotates to basically vertical. In his pic it's at about a 45 degree angle. Is his not extended fully in that pic?

Old 04-18-2017, 12:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry, can't help. The old style does not look like this newer one. On the older one, you pull out the green handle and turn it until the locking pin is inside the receiver, Then you insert it and the locking pin pops into the hole and the green handle closes and you turn the key to lock it. But without the new one in my hand, can't help: the picture in the other forum was useless; you need to see where the locking pin is when the unit is completely open and ready for insertion. Try your dealer.