LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear coolant leak in LR4

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 01:40 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear coolant leak in LR4

Hello - I had a small coolant leak in my 2016 LR4's engine bay in the vicinity of the water pump. The cross-over pipes also had to be replaced at the same time. It was fixed by a dealership with a proportion of the cost coverd by an extended warranty, though I had to tussle with them for a bit over how each job was priced when they were done together. As a result, my bill was reduced by $1200.

A week after getting the vehicle back, I got a 'low coolant' warning on the dash, so I called the dealer where the vehicle had been worked on previously to give them a heads-up that I'd be calling back if the drop in fluid proved more than an air lock. It did. After topping the system off, it went down again, so I took it in for a diagnosis. The result claimed it was nothing to do with the previous repair and that it was now leaking from the rear of the vehicle. I was quoted 8 hours of labor and $500 for a new rear hose/pipe setup. No break from the warranty company, as they don't cover any hoses/pipes. I told them I'd figure the problem out myself rather than pay that.

I have been under the vehicle and checked the rear coolant pipes and can find no sign of a leak anywhere, including on the top side of the spare wheel! I think even a pinhole leak would show some sign of itself. I'm still working to see if I can find any sign of a leak further along the piping.

I'm having some trouble referencing the rear section of the cooling/heating pipes so that I can check it's price online - can anyone help? Also, can anyone recommend a mechanic in Maine who works on LR4's.

Thanks for any help.

Old 09-17-2021, 10:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Seems quite the coincidence that you went in for a coolant leak, they said they fixed it, and now you have another coolant leak. If they told you there is a different leak, they should be able to tell you exactly where that “new” leak is located. I’d push them on the issue on the basis that they haven’t yet fixed the leak they were supposed to fix - if they say its a new/different leak, where is it?

One thing I’m wondering - did they say the leak was at the back of the vehicle or the back of the engine? You probably know there are two coolant crossover pipes - one in the front of the engine and one in the back. From your post, it sounds like you told them to change both, but I wonder if you checked the parts invoice to make sure that was actually done. Maybe they only changed the front, and now the back is leaking?

Sorry I can’t help on your question regarding part numbers for the rear coolant pipes. I’ve never heard of them leaking before.

Old 11-20-2022, 12:09 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever figure out where the leak was coming from and get it resolved? I am seeing the same issue on my 2010 Landrover LR4. Left Rear, right above the muffler area.