LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road and wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021 | 08:07 PM
|
4wd Low
Default Road and wind noise

I have a 2015 LR4 and since I have owned I (couple months) I have been trying to find and eliminate road noise. For a premium SUV (and judging by the reviews) it it quite loud over 70 MPH.
I came from a soft top convertible and, honestly, it is about the same if not louder sometimes. Working with the dealership, they ended up swapping out the windshield, windshield cowl, and one of the plastics on the A pillar (driver side). This made it so at least it wasn't distinctly louder on the driver side. But being that it took them a month to do it (long story), a direct comparison is a bit hard.

However, I just got back from a long road trip and I am surprised how loud it seems again. Couple of questions for you all:
  • How much road and wind noise do you hear over 70 MPH? I can get a decibel meter out and check this over the weekend for hard numbers
  • I have read about people having to have windshields installed multiple times to get it right...is this common or just when not done at the dealer with OEM glass?
  • I don't notice any wind coming in the door or side window per say, but also opening the door seems to click surprisingly easy. Is this a LR thing? Or something that can be adjusted for a firmer/tighter close?
  • Anyone Dynamat the doors? Not sure if it will help or not.
  • Any other ideas? Am I expecting German car levels of quiet when I should be thinking Jeep Wrangler?
I got this truck to replace my tiny convertible as a go everywhere tourer to travel with. But right now, I really don't want to deal with anything more than 2 hours on the highway.

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2021 | 08:18 AM
Rock Crawling

What tires do you have fitted and with what tread remaining?

Old 01-16-2021 | 11:50 AM
|
4wd Low

Originally Posted by pagoda
What tires do you have fitted and with what tread remaining?
Toyo Open Country AT3 with maybe 2k miles on them (pretty new)

they have an aggressive tread but there is distinctly wind noise for a large part of the sound. This is also why I was thinking about dynamat to help add more deadening for the AT tires

Old 02-22-2021 | 12:42 PM
1st Gear

I had a bit of an issue with wind noise coming from the roof... We also have a baja rack installed and for the first 2 years just thought it was because of that.. However I did some adjusting with the sun roof and was able to eliminate the wind noise significantly... There are screws that attach the glass to the open/close mechanism... if you loosen them you can re-align the glass so the seal fits the opening better. It takes some trial/error but eventually it worked.

Old 02-22-2021 | 01:10 PM
Rock Crawling

The LR4 should be pretty quiet without a roof rack/load bars. I do notice wind noise even with my aerobars on top. But most wind noise “issues” I’ve heard of seem to come from the windshield. The A-pillars just seem to give installers a lot of problems. One of mine actually blew off (after a windshield install, I noticed the wind noise and scheduled a repair, but it blew off before they could get back out). I think it has to do with how much goop they use between the windshield and the frame, preventing the pillars from seating properly.

Maybe check the roof rails for proper installation - look for open gaps etc that could cause noise. Sometimes prior owners took them off to put a roof rack on instead and didn’t get them back on correctly.

The door should not click open any easier than any other car. Mine are actually kind of stiff. This sounds like a problem to me, and could account for the noise. Possibly the door seal is shot, but could be a problem with the latch as well.

Maybe you could have a passenger move your decibel meter around the car while you’re driving to see if you can narrow down the source. Or you can buy a mechanics stethoscope with a cone attachment -they’re cheap and work pretty well for locating the source of air noises.

Old 02-22-2021 | 04:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

My guess would be the actual A-pillar trim piece. I had a new windshield installed and new A-pillar trim clips installed too. Wind noise over 60 mph was awful compared to before the new windshield install. I noticed that I could rock the A-pillar trim piece from side to side, creating a gap between the windshield and trim piece. This gap is where the sound was coming from. I finally bought new A-pillar trim pieces (with new clips) that fit nice and tight. That solved the issue and all was quiet again.

Old 02-22-2021 | 06:23 PM
Rock Crawling

When LR replace a windscreen (and good fitters in the UK do the same) the Pilkington screen always comes with new a-pillar trim and new clips. Obvs they do that for a reason.

The following users liked this post:
mmbirtcher (02-24-2021)