Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door seals - wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door seals - wind noise

So my wife and I took her Discovery home for Christmas, gifts and dogs. BTW - the dogs loved the back compartment, I broke down a kennel, and straped it standing up to the back seat (not a SE7) and the luggage strap hooks on the floor bought a huge utility blanket in the auto section at WalMart for $10 and threw a doggie bed under it for more padding. They had a nice 5hr nap to Mobile.

I'll stop rambling now, just thought you would want to know that 2 40-45lbsKeeshonds enjoyed their own space.

As we got up to 80mph on the interstate, the driver side door seemed to catch some outside air and it was really loud. It almost seems like the seal on the door is bad. The area in question was at the window of the door next to the A pillar of the frame of the truck. I have attached a very well drawn out technical diagram of the area in question. If this is all that needs to be replaced, is there some place that would have it at a reasonable price? Please God don't tell me I have to go to Atlantic British, because I just might have to claw my eyes out.

Thanks everybody!

[IMG]local://upfiles/8749/95EB0F1BC168431898DAEC6347BB364B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Door seals - wind noise

are you positive it is coming from the door jam? have you had your windshield replaced? My windshield was replaced and had the same sound. Had to be replaced 3 times at the cost of SafeLite to fix the wind issue. Still can not say it is perfect.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: zerochills

are you positive it is coming from the door jam? have you had your windshield replaced? My windshield was replaced and had the same sound. Had to be replaced 3 times at the cost of SafeLite to fix the wind issue. Still can not say it is perfect.
well there wasn't any noise until we got up to 80 and the window of the driver door would flex in and out because of the wind seaping into the cabin. I may have to get some video of this happening. I checked for the seal on roversnorth.com and I wasn't quite sure that is what I was looking for.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Three Wheeling

drive slower

Old 12-27-2007, 01:54 PM
jmt
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 2003 does this as well and the driver's side is the only side that makes any noise. It sounds like its coming from the upper left side of the door (if looking at it from the interior).

Just tagging along on this one.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: jmt

My 2003 does this as well and the driver's side is the only side that makes any noise. It sounds like its coming from the upper left side of the door (if looking at it from the interior).

Just tagging along on this one.
Thats exactly where it is.

There was also a very loud noise, that almost sounded like the noise that you get when you have a bad ground to an amp or radio, I couldn't pin point it, but it might have been the drivetrain under whistling, IDK.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Three Wheeling

was the noise related to the ground your refering to like a popping noise in the speakers when radio is turned on or off and a whirring sound when accelerating?

Old 12-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: zerochills

was the noise related to the ground your refering to like a popping noise in the speakers when radio is turned on or off and a whirring sound when accelerating?
There wasn't a popping noise in the speakers, it just reminded me of that sound. It was a "whirring sound" but I don't recall it happening only when accelerating. It seemed to be an on an off thing. I will check again and pay more attention to when the sound shows up.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our 2000 Disco II had that issue as well, it sometimes sounds as if the door isn't completely closed. I discussed it with my local dealer, and they offered a fix (may have been a TSB?) wherein they advised owners to take an approx. 12" piece of round rubber tubing that they supplied (about 3/8" OD) and insert it into the inside of the door gasket where you're having the air "leakage". Use a bit of petroleum jelly on the outside of the tubing to ease insertion. If there isn't a slit in the door gasket nearby, you can cut a small one with an X-acto knife.

I cut the tubing they gave me into two equal length pieces, and put them inside the door gasket at the points where I was hearing the noise. It did reduce - but not eliminate - the loud roar that I had been hearing.

Good luck!

Regards,
Bill

The following users liked this post:
dougbkidd (02-24-2019)