LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight metal Vibration with Belt squeal

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 07:52 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight metal Vibration with Belt squeal

Hello,

I purchased an 2016 LR4 SCV6 a few months ago. Previous owner had numerous records from dealer. The other day when my wife was just hitting accelerator to come up the drive way i heard a metal shutter come from the lr4. I’ve never noticed a noise before, as you cannot hear it in the cabin. I was in the yard when I heard it. So I took it for test drive with the windows down. And right upon light acceleration it made the same sound. With a slight belt squeal at the very end. It only lasts for maybe a second. The metal sound sounds like a subwoofer of a car making the license plate rattle around. I looked at the belts and found this tensioner wiggling around under idle. Put a stethoscope on it and its got some pretty harsh grinding thumps. I cannot duplicate the sound in park, seems to happen only while engine is under load.

Any thoughts on if this tensioner wiggle could be the culprit? Or is the tensioner just where the problem is showing up and the issue stems from somewhere else? I was thinking the water pump could be doing it, but previous owner records had the water pump gaskets replaced in Aug of 2022 (6K miles ago). I would think they would have replaced the water pump itself if they thought it was going bad. Thankfully they did do the y pipes and rear manifold when they replaced the gasket.

I have attached a video of the wiggling tensioner.

Thanks,
Carson

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_9901.mov (11.09 MB, 10 views)
Old 12-03-2023, 10:10 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was finally able to reproduce the metal vibration sound. It was the heat shield on the transmission. It must have been an issue before as there were globs of silicone all over the underside of it. Bought some rubber washers for shield and placed felt on the bracket that holds shield on. Seems to have solved issue. The bracket has a small crack in it which might be letting it vibrate more than it should.

After locating sound it doesn’t seem to have had a belt squeal at all but will keep an eye on it.

Old 12-03-2023, 05:00 PM
guy
Winching
Received 115 Likes on 101 Posts

rubber… on a heat shield? silicone? I’d be using a heat resistant automotive grade components.