LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke after cranking harsh smell 2014 LR4 SCV6

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 02:59 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke after cranking harsh smell 2014 LR4 SCV6

So i was driving home and i was aware of the Disco leaking some coolant for a few days so i drove it like that with no issue i knew i was going to get to it on the weekend BUT. i then stoped to pump gas then after got Jimmy Johns. that is when i notice that the coolant had leaked out not all but did spill. i let the disco cool down and tried driving it, it did start but very rumbuly, i put it on reverse did pull out and then put it on drive the it rumbled so just parked it. got picked up and came back to add coolant and see how it would start after 4 hrs of letting it cool down. it did start drove it home about 3 miles a soon as i got home it gushout collant and got hot. then after about ten min i tryed to start it I dont know why but i did. it then cranked/rumbuled then smoke came out white smoke so i stoped tring to turn it on then from the pass side the smoke was very harsh and it made my eyes water i dont know if it was rubber or both coolant and oil but it did smoke. So know im in the middle of re moveing the SC to replace gaskets and to see if i blew a gasket or what! im still in the middle of pulling the SC out. Also when i did remove the SC (top cover collant line supply ) I did see that it did have water in the gasket area and if i remeber the coolant cover inside the SC were wet is that normal. HELP! Please.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Overheating followed by rough running is not good. These cars can’t take overheating. The aluminum heads warp pretty quickly. I’m not sure what gasket you’re looking to replace, but the gasket that typically would be blown in this scenario is the head gasket due to overheating and warping of the heads. Getting to the head gaskets is a big, complicated job. You are better off having it compression tested and leak-down tested first. That will tell you if you have a head gasket leak. You can then determine whether you want to fix it or not.

To answer your question, the supercharger should not have coolant inside. The supercharger “cover” is actually the charge air cooler. Coolant flows inside this unit (has fins inside) but the coolant should stay inside the air cooler, not leak into the supercharger. There will be a little oil on the top of the supercharger from the PCV, but no coolant.

But the most common place for these catastrophic coolant leaks is not the charge air cooler or the supercharger, but below the supercharger where the plastic front coolant crossover pipes enter the block. You can pull the supercharger and see if those pipes have burst, but it doesn’t sound like that’s going to solve your problem at this point since the engine seems to have overheated.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:50 AM
4wd Low

im past the compresion test. and have removed the SC and the rear ( Heater Maniflod/crossover Tube Pipe for Land Rover Discovery 4 LR4 ) that has 6 screws 3 on each side That Heater Maniflod/crossover was the reason i was leaking coolant ,after inspecting it it was cracked . i have just orderd that Manifold. Alos i have did remove the oil cap and seen that it looked like chocolte im sure that is not good , but after removing the oil filter and cove that area looked good it did not look like it ha dwater in it so, i guess i will continue removing the valve covers to see if that was leaking on either sides. also have a look at those gaskets. Also if any one can help out with some kind of drawings of what is what in the LR4 Thank you jlglr4 for the respond and info

Old 10-27-2021, 12:10 PM
Rock Crawling

If you have chocolate through the oil cap, that means coolant in the oil. Only way it gets there (to my knowledge) is through the head gasket. With the overheating situation, seems like that almost certainly points to a warped head. I don’t think it matters that you don’t see water in the oil filter. I also don’t think taking off the valve covers is going to tell you much. The valve cover gaskets only prevent oil from escaping. Coolant flows through the heads, not the valve covers.

You can still do a leak down test with the SC off. Test each cylinder at TDC using an air compressor - if air is escaping, you listen to try to determine where the air is escaping. Rent the equipment and look up a detailed procedure, or have it towed to a garage for the test.

There is a service manual floating around that covers the supercharged engines. I think if you go to this thread: https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic146859.html, and look at the post that says “here’s my repository,” follow the link and go to the folder entitled “EN.” You should find a manual there.

Old 11-05-2021, 12:19 PM
4wd Low

okay tem im back with pulling out the oil from LR4 oh yeah bythe way the DOCs that where sent to me are amazing thanks jlglr4 . so after pulling the oil it looks great no chocolate just staright oil its kinda dark but at least its not chocolate like. so after this im thinking i dont need to pull the heads. also i did look around the heads in the outter parts and dont see any oil leak i do still need to see the back end but it looks good. Now the only other thibg i am worried about is why the white some (( then after about ten min i tryed to start it I dont know why but i did. it then cranked/rumbuled then smoke came out white smoke so i stoped tring to turn it on then from the pass side the smoke was very harsh and it made my eyes water i dont know if it was rubber or both coolant and oil but it did smoke.)) i have seen videos on changing the PVC cap i will change just becaus im there but it did not look torn/riped . any other thoughts guys . Oh also i did find a crack in the heater manifold cooling flange . that will replaced . also when the coolant leaked out it seamed as it was from the driver side area because the dirver side tire was drenched in coolant but looking underneath i cant find a ripped hose any advise thank you TEAM!

Old 11-07-2021, 12:12 AM
Rock Crawling

Where did the white smoke come from - you say passenger side, but do you mean from the engine bay, or in the cabin (ac vents), or from the tailpipe?

Old 11-07-2021, 05:24 PM
4wd Low

The smoke seam to have come from the engine bay passenger side. The window were open and I'm sure the smoke just came in.

This is where I am currently at also looking at the knock sensor it does look like it is dripping some goo see the green pick pointing at the goo

Old 11-08-2021, 07:32 PM
Rock Crawling

If the smoke was just coming from the engine bay, i’m guessing it just burped out more coolant that landed on the exhaust manifold when you cranked it over again. What I don’t know is why the engine would be running rough unless it overheated and warped a head. I think you should do a leak down test.

Otherwise, I’d replace the coolant crossover in the back and front, replace the seals on that little coolant tube that connects the back of the water pump to the oil cooler, replace the intake manifold gasket, and get it back together. Start it up and see if she runs.

I don’t know why the driver’s side front wheel would be covered with coolant, except that maybe when you overheated, it spewed out the lid of the reservoir. But you should see residue from wherever it was dripping through the fender well and onto the front wheel.

Really hoping for the best here.

Old 11-08-2021, 08:27 PM
4wd Low

Thank you . I will do that and give it a pressure test before turning her over . Thank you again much appreciated. I'll be back with finding after I do that .

Old 11-12-2021, 10:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

The leak down test will tell you if there's exhaust leaking from the heads into the cooling circuit, the chemical fluid will change from blue to green.

Last edited by jahummer; 11-12-2021 at 11:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Smoke after cranking harsh smell 2014 LR4 SCV6