LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke after cranking harsh smell 2014 LR4 SCV6

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 11:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Actually, the leak down test I was referring to is introducing pressurized air into the cylinder at top-dead-center to see if it holds. If it leaks air, listen for the leak through the intakes, adjacent cylinder, oil filler cap, etc. Testing the coolant for exhaust with a chemical agent is another relevant test that can be performed, but with the coolant having been mostly drained at this point and the system unpressurized and open, not sure if that would work anymore.

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (11-12-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 06:54 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay i have put it all back and now the engine wont turn over , the starter is doing its job its cranking just not starting. any help with what can i do . also i did put the ODB2 and i seen it had a fule disabled not sure if i need to enable the fule pump some how or ? i do here the fule pump come on when i just turn it on (with out break pressed) HELP!! thank you

Old 12-04-2021, 10:31 PM
Rock Crawling

You say the OBD2 says it has fuel disabled. Can you provide more info - is there a code showing in the scanner? Did you have the fuel pump fuse pulled to run it out of gas when doing the repair?

I also remember one instance where someone mixed up the heater manifold diverter plug with the coolant temp sensor plug. Might check to make sure these didn’t get switched accidentally. I think both are on that rear crossover pipe.

Old 12-05-2021, 01:48 PM
4wd Low

I did not remove the fuse of the file pump. will this cause terrible issues . And the code I seen for the file pump I don't remember what I did to pull it up or get back to it. And I will check the connection but sure I got them right.

Old 12-05-2021, 02:33 PM
4wd Low

Looking back I did see that there are two connections that just ended one look to be a temperature sensor and other one some other kind of sensor possibly but it also looks like the cable are just missing. But when I was as connecting them I don't remember having to see and lose wires. Please look at pic . The right circle is the temp sensor and the left bottom is the connection that looks like it's missing wire's but may also be a sensor. The blue arrow is the cross over coolant pipe. Thank you for helping me out

Old 12-05-2021, 04:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Sorry - I can’t tell anything from this pic. I think the socket with the blank plugs (right circle) is just not used - those look like the little blanking plugs they put in to prevent corrosion. I cannot tell what the other plug (left circle) is for. I just recall that this was the area where some other forum member had swapped two plugs and the car wouldn’t start. Towed it to the dealer and they figured it out.

But, this might not be your problem. Reading back through the posts, looks like the last time you tried to start it before taking it apart, the truck “cranked/rumbled” before pouring out smoke. So, there might be something else going on.

As for the fuel pump fuse - I mentioned it only because its one way people release fuel pressure before disassembly - remove fuse and run it until it stalls. Sometimes people forget to put the fuse back in. No harm if you didn’t remove it.

Wish I had some other ideas for you. Check for spark, check for fuel (wet plugs).