LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange RPM Fluctuation

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 03:52 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question same issue....

hi..new user here!

i own a range rover sport 2007 2.7tdv6 and i currently have as rpm bouncing issue, when i let off the accelerator, the revs drop and then bounce up and down around 300-500rpm. Seems to do it less when in sport mode. I recently had the gearbox filter, sump and oil changed due to the old one developing a leak. Cured the leak and all was well, but then the hunting started. Checked the maf and map sensor and all seem good., egr is throwing a low circuit code, but when checking they have been blanked off by a previous owner, so i am in the process of having the ecu remapped with the egr system removed and also a stage 1 remap (will give me a really good bump in power with 50hp and 80nm - which is quiet amazing just from a tune!)

However after reading the replies above i am thinking that after all this, the rpm bouncing might still be there and is likely to be the torque convertor....is this what others have found? - did your oil change work for a while and then you had to swap out the torque convertor?

Old 10-03-2023, 10:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jpvd
hi..new user here!

i own a range rover sport 2007 2.7tdv6 and i currently have as rpm bouncing issue, when i let off the accelerator, the revs drop and then bounce up and down around 300-500rpm. Seems to do it less when in sport mode. I recently had the gearbox filter, sump and oil changed due to the old one developing a leak. Cured the leak and all was well, but then the hunting started. Checked the maf and map sensor and all seem good., egr is throwing a low circuit code, but when checking they have been blanked off by a previous owner, so i am in the process of having the ecu remapped with the egr system removed and also a stage 1 remap (will give me a really good bump in power with 50hp and 80nm - which is quiet amazing just from a tune!)

However after reading the replies above i am thinking that after all this, the rpm bouncing might still be there and is likely to be the torque convertor....is this what others have found? - did your oil change work for a while and then you had to swap out the torque convertor?
You are not experiencing the same RPM fluctuation that most of us in this thread are discussing. The fluctuation that I was describing and ultimately found a resolution for was related to rhythmic slight RPM hunting while at a constant speed and constant throttle application while driving.

Old 11-04-2023, 12:47 PM
2nd Gear

[QUOTE=AGLR;878452]You are not experiencing the same RPM fluctuation that most of us in this thread are discussing. The fluctuation that I was describing and ultimately found a resolution for was related to rhythmic slight RPM hunting while at a constant speed and constant throttle application while driving.[/QUOTE

Finally fixed my issue (all good so far anyway! - so fingers crossed)

I had my garage do a full flush of the transmission, add two tubes of dr tranny and new oil. Also had them change the diffs and transfer box oils too. It now runs like a dream - butter smooth gear changes, no bouncing of rpm, like new...

Made a massive difference 👍

Next job is a remap for more power and torque, but that can wait for now - spent enough this side of xmas 🙈😂🤦🤦

Old 04-28-2024, 10:41 AM
Drifting

Hi all, I understand this thread is a bit old. I have exact same symptoms as the OP... AGLR looks like got some success... Has anyone else done the same?
Has anyone else had success?

Thank you.

Old 04-29-2024, 06:33 AM
guy
Winching
Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts

You state nothing about your vehicle so there are a billion reasons... however, rpm fluxuation due to oil or transmission fluid, is a stretch.
Common places to look:
PCV valve?
Clean MAFs?
Clean filters?
Operational fuel pumps?
Misbehaving injectors...

Old 04-29-2024, 07:12 AM
Drifting

Fair point.
I have 2005 LR3 HSE with the 4.4 litre engine. It has now 166k miles and it has been doing this, though it seems it’s a bit worse, for the past 86k miles of my ownership.

Doing 25mph on a straight stretch of the road gets it going. RPM bounces up and down. It does so in automatic and shift select. It does so, even if I downshift or upshift.

It will exhibit the same behaviour at times up to 40mph.

Anyway… I was hoping to see if anyone that experienced the same was able to troubleshoot and fix it.

Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by guy
You state nothing about your vehicle so there are a billion reasons... however, rpm fluxuation due to oil or transmission fluid, is a stretch.
Common places to look:
PCV valve?
Clean MAFs?
Clean filters?
Operational fuel pumps?
Misbehaving injectors...

Old 04-29-2024, 07:16 AM
guy
Winching

Is the actual rpm bouncing up and down... or does the electronic tachometer have a mind of its own?

Old 04-29-2024, 07:41 AM
Drifting

Hi, I monitored the throttle position and it moves up and down. What is strange is that the turbine speed was not registering a change.
So you can say the throttle is hunting.

Thank you.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:01 AM
guy
Winching

check fuel trims?

Old 07-18-2024, 08:55 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AGLR
Following up regarding my experience with the RPM fluctuation while driving. As previously stated by others, changing the fluid is a reasonable first attempt. This did seem to provide temporary success for myself as well, however the problem remained subtle and did return after a couple thousand miles of driving.

A little over 1000 Miles ago I went ahead and did a minor transmission refresh by installing a "zip kit" to update some of the mechatronic valve seals, and I also replaced all of the transmission solonoids.

I didn't have the tool to electronically reset the transmission adaptations, so it seemed to take a couple of days for the transmission to learn the new solenoids and zip kit. Within about 3 days, however all of the rpm fluctuations resolved. We are traveling cross country with a travel trailer and have now towed over 1000 miles and the RPMs now hold steady in all gears whether in drive or manual shift mode.
Your content here is extremely helpful. I’m getting such a mixed message from professionals and short of doing the work myself I’m looking at costs equal to the value of the vehicle. The message I get is that at this point the torque converter is shot if I’m experiencing the flight rpm fluctuation. You had the same conditions and are seemingly resolved without major transmission service.

Did you have any inspection that lead to your resolution path or find some reason to conclude the torque converter was not the issue? At this point I don’t trust most pros and some of the best here in Boise won’t even touch a Land Rover, despite the side use of the transmission in other brands.

I’ve been very successful with difficult jobs (short of internal) but for whatever reason I’m fearful of doing transmission work. How difficult was the job?

I think at this point I have to decide if I can do the labor to follow your path, or look to replace the transmission, which I really don’t want to do.