LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain tensioner and transmission jerk at 160,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 08:40 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing chain tensioner and transmission jerk at 160,000 miles

I took my 2012 LR4 to the dealer this week to have the 150,000 mile service. I had been looking forward to bringing the car in for the transmission fluid change with the expectation that the service would correct the jerky 1st to 2nd shift that mainly occurred when the engine and transmission are cold. (There is also something of a “bump” in the transmission when slowing from 40mph and faster at a stop). The cost of the service was expected to be around $2,100 before taxes.

A few hours after drop off the service advisor called and said that the jerkiness in the transmission would not be corrected by the transmission fluid change. Apparently there was something more serious wrong and he felt it would be a waste of money to do the proscribed service. The price to overhaul the transmission would be in the neighborhood of $8,000. He went on to say that the front end of the engine was very noisy and he predicted an issue soon with the timing chain tensioner springs. That too was costly, also in the area of $8,000.

In his opinion, the car was not worth spending that much money on, though he admitted it was in great shape otherwise (interior and body). He offered to have the vehicle appraised so that I could sell it to a broker and move on. (If he had bothered to ask what I thought about all this I would have said “Don’t bother” since I've yet to see a dealer appraisal over $5,000). He called later to say the car was worth $3,000.

Here are my questions:
At this point I’m looking for an independent garage to do these services. Which one to do first? Putting it another way, if a tensioner chain were to break or the transmission were to implode (or whatever they do), which is more of an immediate concern? I’ve read a few posts about jerky Land Rover transmission being the result of needing a software update. Of course I would be thrilled if it were something so simple but that’s not usually how life works. I don’t think I’d have a garage I'm not familiar with do two major services since if it turns out they aren’t as competent as advertised.

I’m also debating whether to go to a garage that services all cars, or just European, or just English. Does it make a difference?

Any ideas on a reasonable price for each service?

Last edited by Bullneck; 08-15-2020 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

A rough location will help us answer a few questions a bit better. To me the timing chains are higher priority and shouldn't cost $8k.

oh and I'll give you $3500 lol

The following users liked this post:
Bullneck (10-28-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Bullneck (10-28-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 11:38 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Army is right. If the motor skips timing, it’s toast.

im not st work, but I think the job is around 20 hours.

@$120 an hour, you are at $2400, plus parts.

Bullneck (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 07:41 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
A rough location will help us answer a few questions a bit better. To me the timing chains are higher priority and shouldn't cost $8k.

oh and I'll give you $3500 lol

Thanks, Army. Frankly, the sign on his desk makes me a bit suspicious about the timing and motive behind that "appraisal!"

Old 11-03-2018, 08:46 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just got a quote for the timing chain from my local dealer an its 8k on a 2011 RR SC. I asked the best in class local independent and he said its the only job he wont touch and recommended i goto the dealer as they have tools that arent available to independents. all this guy does is work on rovers so im going to listen to him. not sure if its a cheaper job on the LR4. Lots of posts on this over at landroverworld.org

Old 11-03-2018, 09:05 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ttforcefed
i just got a quote for the timing chain from my local dealer an its 8k on a 2011 RR SC. I asked the best in class local independent and he said its the only job he wont touch and recommended i goto the dealer as they have tools that arent available to independents. all this guy does is work on rovers so im going to listen to him. not sure if its a cheaper job on the LR4. Lots of posts on this over at landroverworld.org
Thanks for your post. landroverworld.org seems to redirect to Land Rover Forums (at least for me). Can you link one of these posts you're referring to?

Old 11-03-2018, 09:07 PM
4wd Low

There are two shops that are more or less in my area (i.e., 1 hour drive away). I'm going to try Vinnie in North Jersey. He has 5 star reviews on Yelp and lots of glowing reviews. I'll check and see if he can do the timing chain.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:09 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullneck
Thanks for your post. landroverworld.org seems to redirect to Land Rover Forums (at least for me). Can you link one of these posts you're referring to?
yes thats the same forum. Goto LR4 secrion and L32 range rover section and seach for timing chain

Old 11-03-2018, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bullneck
There are two shops that are more or less in my area (i.e., 1 hour drive away). I'm going to try Vinnie in North Jersey. He has 5 star reviews on Yelp and lots of glowing reviews. I'll check and see if he can do the timing chain.

Any good indie should be able to do the 5.0 timing job.

Bullneck (11-03-2018)

Quick Reply: Timing chain tensioner and transmission jerk at 160,000 miles