Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

2015 LR4 Running Board removal

Old 04-28-2015, 10:44 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 LR4 Running Board removal

Upon removing these impractical items I see that they are stamped with a "Do Not Remove... Safety Item"
Does anyone know what safety aspect these running boards provide. I assume it is some type of side wall structural support. I have an LR3 that doesn't have these and LR just started including them in late 2014. Wondering if I need to reinstall?

Old 05-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Running boards are for luxury purposes mostly , they may prevent body rub here and there at times ... but it makes it easier for little children and the elderly to get in an out of the vehicle ....

So the option is yours really.....

Old 05-07-2015, 04:26 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, but what about the stamp in the structural iron that says "safety device- do not remove"

Old 05-08-2015, 09:30 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Have you ever seen another LR4 without running boards? If so, they are either Rebels who don't care about safety or that stamp is the equivalent of the mattress tag that says do not remove.

I just got an LR3 to part out, and it has running boards, but my friends doesn't. As far as LR4, I don't see a big structural difference.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by abran
Have you ever seen another LR4 without running boards? If so, they are either Rebels who don't care about safety or that stamp is the equivalent of the mattress tag that says do not remove.

I just got an LR3 to part out, and it has running boards, but my friends doesn't. As far as LR4, I don't see a big structural difference.
you need to explain this one... how is not having a running a dis regard for safety ?

Old 05-09-2015, 12:49 AM
Baja

Simple. Sarcasm.

Clearly, there are many LR4s without running boards, so the stamp on the boards is equivalent to a mattress tag when it comes to removal. I don't think the running boards have anything to do with safety, but I am entertained the that OP is so pre occupied with the thought that removing the running boards would be a safety issue.

So I'll just say it. Remove the running boards, there is no safety issue unless you are semi crippled and need them to enter the car even when the air suspension is in access mode.

Last edited by abran; 05-09-2015 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:31 AM
Rock Crawling

My aim was not sarcasm .. this forum ( i'm thinking ) is to share ideas, experiences , help solve issues , learn about stuff etc etc....

and lots of people are new to LR's and vehicle operations on the whole ... so i am a person who likes to teach others whatever ' I " know.... at NO cost .. whenever i could . i may not have been around the world.. but i know about the places i'v been to (so to speak )

So firstly someone has to know the function of it , then you will know the purpose of it , then you know the reason for it , then you decide if you need it or its needed ? ... and it goes on ..
( that's why i asked you to explain ) more opinions matter ..

so please understand my take on this ... I'm just here to share info ...and help people living in the Land Rover world .. to remain on top of their game ...

Land Rovers are not Problems you know .... its the people understanding them ...

So we need to understand them , after all some of them were born in 1948 and are still alive and well today , and today's models may out live most of us...( think about it )

Have a great weekend you all....

Old 05-09-2015, 08:56 AM
Baja

Let me apologize if my sarcasm was offensive.

I should have added that not only was I attempting to have a little fun with my sarcasm, but was also trying to challenge the thinking of the OP and anyone reading.

What you get on forums are opinions. I wanted the OP to observe that there are LR4s with and without running boards then make up his own mind about the consequences of removal.

In the end it's his decision to remove them, so he should come to that decision on his own. Sure we can help with our opinions, but I have been wrong in my advice I have given countless times, so I urge everyone to listen to opinions and analyze a situation before making a final decision.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Rock Crawling

No No you were not offensive , i'm just as you are , what i was getting at is . lets not confuse the inexperience ones here ( long and short )... i have a really weird sense of humour trust me i see your point , we're cool...

Old 05-30-2015, 05:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Recently, I removed my LR3's running boards that it came with. They have no structural stamping on them.

If a Honda comes to T-Bone you, it will absorb SOME of the impact from that other vehicle. Enough to make any real difference? Doubtful, but undeniably, some, at very least... at 3mph, they may take up the entire crash!

If you're concerned for this though, get some tree sliders. They're going to be WAY more structural and impact taking than the running boards.

Dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 LR4 Running Board removal