Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

anyone try LED bulbs on Discovery 1/2 headlamps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 03:14 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default anyone try LED bulbs on Discovery 1/2 headlamps?

This is for the pre-2003/4 non-projector headlamps. I run the incandescent H4's. I care a lot about light quality for the driver and other drivers, and not just lumen quantity. I never considered the results with HID retrofits to be acceptable. What about LED? Are they just bad to other drivers or is it a new story?

Old 10-04-2018, 02:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

I've got LEDs all around my 2001 Disco 2 except for the headlights. I've tried a few H4 LED headlight bulbs but they burned out quick or sucked as far as projecting light.
So I went back to my trusty Philips Xtreme Vision Plus bulbs. They've been good to go for the past 2 years.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:47 PM
Winching
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

After relocating out of a city environment into a rural new england town, I had to get some brighter headlights on my 04 D2 & replaced H4's with LED replacements in both Hi, Low beam & the H7 fog lights. I used ECS tuning out of CA. I opted not to get the brightest temperature they offered at the time trying to be considerate to oncoming traffic ( and the law) however something had to be done. I couldn't be happier. Was costly to have done them all at same time - but 3 years later and not a single problem.
I won't go back to regular bulbs.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:28 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got LEDs in my D1's headlights. They were installed the PO(S), a brand called OPT7. I'm not such a fan. While they're super bright, I find the light quality is not great, and one of them has a problem where the high beam won't activate (essentially just two more LEDs). I'm much more a fan of natural white or warm-colored LEDs, and these have a cool hue. IMO the greatest challenge with D1 headlights is the stupid sealed-beam-looking, light scattering glass lens. I've always hated these things, and I think with a bulb much brighter than stock, it just becomes blinding to oncoming drivers. If you've got a post-facelift D2, you might do much better.

The following users liked this post:
Capex1 (02-10-2020)
Old 01-20-2019, 04:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 441 Likes on 258 Posts

LED or HID are incompatible with the reflector design of H4 headlights, high beams and fog lights, even in 03/04 Discos. The light emitting area of a LED/HID bulb is much bigger than the glowing wire of a incandescent light bulb and the reflectors are not designed for that. Using LED/HID leads to flare and increased area of projection which can stun oncoming drivers. It might be even against the law in some jurisdictions and could have consequences for liability in case of an accident. Therefore, I stick with incandescent light bulbs in those places. BTW, the Silverstar make great bright light. It's totally fine to replace all other bulbs with LED, but you need to get good quality for brightness and lifetime. I got mine from superbrightleds, which have all the required sockets in the right color for the Discovery. Don't use white LEDs behind colored glass, because it is less efficient. When there will be affordable aftermarket headlight assemblies for LED available, I might switch to LED.

Last edited by Discorama; 01-20-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:29 AM
Winching

Each environment will pose its own challenges for necessary light. In my state, vehicle standard law is governed by department of transportation - (MAD.O.T.) which states must have UL listed DOT approved headlight. Some LED are dot approved now by 2019- at the time of swap -( which was from the silver star; brightest h7 bulbs I could get my hands on) I considered my own safety driving around with barley visible light flood. And will admit- I do not know for certain these would have been dot approved at time of purchase - However I will not go without them after trying them.
The LED’s are remarkably better - for my application anyway - non street lamp, country back roads. Deer crossing.. even better Offroad. No problems whatsoever. Plug n play application, anti vibration, less draw, longer life then an h7. couldn’t be more impressed personally.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:12 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LEDs are nice just watch it in snow environments as LED are so lacking warmth the snow can build up and you lose all your light. I see it on trucker's brake lights all the time in the Rocky Mountains

Old 02-04-2019, 07:22 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So.... Is there a plug and play prefered brand LED product for replacing 2004 Disco 2 headlights for those of us with no legal issues in our state ?

Old 02-04-2019, 07:39 PM
Winching

Not sure.
Have had good luck with my brand.
Seemingly good knowledge of product - they claim to be doing there own R&D - designed in California, phone call to tech help & planning always warranted normal business hours & andwered by humans.

I didn’t opt for brightest lumen available - and I’m very happy

share your experience if you decide.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Apollon
So.... Is there a plug and play prefered brand LED product for replacing 2004 Disco 2 headlights for those of us with no legal issues in our state ?
Yes. The company is out of Australia. He sends you a mounting plate etc.

ill find it hold on
here is one of his install videos:

Also, I thought he made a late model D2 kit and here is is page he sells through. Very responsive https://m.facebook.com/Ultraflex4x4/...utube.com&_rdr

Last edited by The_OGCJR; 05-08-2019 at 10:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MrValingo (10-13-2019)

Quick Reply: anyone try LED bulbs on Discovery 1/2 headlamps?