anyone try LED bulbs on Discovery 1/2 headlamps? - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Go Back  Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum > General Land Rover Forums > Modifications
Reload this Page >

anyone try LED bulbs on Discovery 1/2 headlamps?

Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

anyone try LED bulbs on Discovery 1/2 headlamps?

Old 10-03-2018, 04:14 PM
Default anyone try LED bulbs on Discovery 1/2 headlamps?

This is for the pre-2003/4 non-projector headlamps. I run the incandescent H4's. I care a lot about light quality for the driver and other drivers, and not just lumen quantity. I never considered the results with HID retrofits to be acceptable. What about LED? Are they just bad to other drivers or is it a new story?

Old 10-04-2018, 03:47 AM

I've got LEDs all around my 2001 Disco 2 except for the headlights. I've tried a few H4 LED headlight bulbs but they burned out quick or sucked as far as projecting light.
So I went back to my trusty Philips Xtreme Vision Plus bulbs. They've been good to go for the past 2 years.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:47 PM

After relocating out of a city environment into a rural new england town, I had to get some brighter headlights on my 04 D2 & replaced H4's with LED replacements in both Hi, Low beam & the H7 fog lights. I used ECS tuning out of CA. I opted not to get the brightest temperature they offered at the time trying to be considerate to oncoming traffic ( and the law) however something had to be done. I couldn't be happier. Was costly to have done them all at same time - but 3 years later and not a single problem.
I won't go back to regular bulbs.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:28 PM

I've got LEDs in my D1's headlights. They were installed the PO(S), a brand called OPT7. I'm not such a fan. While they're super bright, I find the light quality is not great, and one of them has a problem where the high beam won't activate (essentially just two more LEDs). I'm much more a fan of natural white or warm-colored LEDs, and these have a cool hue. IMO the greatest challenge with D1 headlights is the stupid sealed-beam-looking, light scattering glass lens. I've always hated these things, and I think with a bulb much brighter than stock, it just becomes blinding to oncoming drivers. If you've got a post-facelift D2, you might do much better.