Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

ASI Aluminum Radiator aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 04:58 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASI Aluminum Radiator aftermarket

*Sorry I don't post much, I read more than post, in the pictures below you'll also see my personal custom electric 2 speed fan and shroud. The shroud was taken off the factory shroud and melted with the customer shroud.*
*if you have questions please PM me, I'm on too many forums to check the thread often, I can try to post the question and answer when I get them"

There's fitment issues with the ASI radiator.

Name:  orEja6Nl.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  73.5 KB

1. The bracket with the nipple at the bottom is off by approx. 2cm and does not sit into the holes in the factory radiator mount

The fix you'll have to cut the nipple off so the radiator can seat properly

Picture shows the nipple is off
Name:  7wKSDPGl.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  65.9 KB

Solution cut off the nipple
Name:  53Jd34jl.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  52.1 KB

2. The bracket extending out the face of the radiator that is suppose to retain the fan shroud is upside and on the wrong end. At the current configuration it does nothing.

Those bracket are useless and gets in the way to have your fan shroud sitting properly so cut those off.

Picture of the brackets which should belong at the bottom of the radiator and face the opposite direction
Name:  MHX0QmXl.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  78.6 KB

Must be cut off so the shroud can sit on the radiator, the bracket has no use as its in the wrong place and upside down.

Name:  Lp2AATGl.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  81.8 KB

3. The lower radiator hose outlet is too close to the radiator face and when the fan shroud installed there is no space for the radiator hose to fit. So either have the outlet stick out further or instead of a 90 degree angle it needs a 35-45 degree point out.

This you'll have to cut up your fan shroud to make proper clearance

Name:  iv0Jrfwl.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  74.9 KB

After cutting shroud and adding plates to avoid air getting sucked in from the side.
Name:  348fHaWl.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  68.8 KB

4. The transmission cooler inlet outlet are correct thread but the hole is too small for the male section of the pipe to fit into causing the nut Not to be able to reach the thread. Either provide the proper adapter or enlarge the hole to allow the male portion of the pipe to fit into.

You'll need to find the correct adapter from a hardware store, if not from a specialty hose store. If you have the right tool you can enlarge the hole but you'll get aluminum flake inside the cooler.

Name:  vKjJDOVl.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  45.1 KB

I have no experience yet on the effectiveness of the radiator and its performance and reliability as I still haven't gotten over the hurdle with finding the adapter for the transmission cooler

I spent so far about 3 hours of modification and fitment test. Not sure if this radiator is worth it. It has the same amount of fins as the factory radiator. Copper is more effective in transferring heat vs. aluminum. The only pros of aluminum rads are its lighter weight and transfer 30% more heat because they can pack more fins and channels BUT this particular aluminum rad has the same amount of fins as the copper one, which means this will perform less effective as the copper one.

This IS NOT a plug and play and needs a good amount of modification. The only advantage it cheaper ~$299 than the factory OEM ~$500-$800 but the amount of work to make it fit and work is probably NOT worth it.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have sent it back.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I used the aluminum with plastic bowels, so far so good

What electric fan is that?

Old 06-16-2014, 11:04 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i'll be sending mine back.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:06 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
I used the aluminum with plastic bowels, so far so good

What electric fan is that?
Its off a Ford Taurus, very high power fan two speed. Then I cut up the shrouds and made a custom one.