Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Bumper and Lift kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 03:22 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper and Lift kit questions

Hi, I have a 96 discovery se7.
I want to be able to tackle tougher trails. Im looking at A mild lift kit the terra firma 2.5 inch had caught my eye. It seems like people like them from what I have read. I am wondering if there are any other options that I should research.
I am also planning to add rock sliders and a front bumper with a winch mount, not shopping for winches yet, but i know its going to probably be next on the list. My question is who makes an affordable off road bumper and/or rock sliders for the discovery and are there any that i should avoid quality wise?

thanks in advance
-Jeff

Old 06-29-2015, 09:16 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

there are quite a few option out there: Old Man Emu are very good, pro comp, RTE Fab.com.
before you go buying suspension you should know what type of bumper and sliders you are going to use, they will make a difference. and you dont want to go back and replace the spring in a few months.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I've ran OME and RTE in the past.

RTE provided more lift than advertised. The rear springs were progressive rate and i loved them. The fronts were standard and were extremely rough down the road. If I were doing RTE again I would see about progressives at all four corners. If the sell them for the front.

OME was a very firm ride. I may have been to lightly loaded though at the time.

I have been running the terrafirma AT shocks and new stock springs on the 110 and have been very happy. 110 didn't really need a lift lol

Like drowssap said look at what you want and how loaded it will be, and decide from there. Trade offs will always happen but minimalizing them and going in with your eyes open will keep you from redoing the work

Old 06-29-2015, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

YEAH dont make the mistake of buying light springs then adding bumpers sliders and winch as they wont ride right on the flip side do not buy the hd springs with the intent to put all the heavy stuff on cause it will ride like total crap like u have no suspension till all those items are added plus they may give too much lift and screw up the steering geometry bad and make the rover handle poor on road

most seem ok with 2" and get away with just changing springs any more and you get into needing radius arms longer shocks etc

something else to consider is doing a urothane bushing kit to replace all the worn rubber

if you can fab stuff there are slder plans here and it has been shown jeep bumpers can be made to fit, i would buy the extras then springs and put it all on at once imo

Last edited by TOM R; 06-29-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

i was just going to say .... but Tom covered it... i added all the stuff i wanted first then bought heavy duty springs to get the lift i wanted ....

Old 07-08-2015, 07:53 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Jeff, if you are still looking for help, lets talk, I am local and have a lot of lift info.

The following users liked this post:
Thatguy (07-22-2015)