Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Cleaning inside of engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 03:18 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning inside of engine

So recently I did a oil change and looking inside of the space where you fill your oil and there was a lot of build up in there. My d2 sat for a little over a year only being ran about once a month while I was overseas. Any help on how to clean this or how it effects the performance would be greatly appreciated! It’s a D2 with 165k

Old 04-08-2018, 05:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

I'd just leave it alone. It's attached and not going anywhere. You run a engine flush through it and all you are doing is running that crap through your oil pump. The material you dislodge will be suppended in the oil for a bit and most likely go through the oil pump screen and into the oil pump...then get caught up in filter. So, the question would be...what damage is this causing to the oil pump?

If you aren't having any running issues or such...just keep driving your rig and change oil on a regular schedule. Someday, when the engine pukes...then you can dig into cleaning it internally.

Brian.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:16 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
I'd just leave it alone. It's attached and not going anywhere. You run a engine flush through it and all you are doing is running that crap through your oil pump. The material you dislodge will be suppended in the oil for a bit and most likely go through the oil pump screen and into the oil pump...then get caught up in filter. So, the question would be...what damage is this causing to the oil pump?

If you aren't having any running issues or such...just keep driving your rig and change oil on a regular schedule. Someday, when the engine pukes...then you can dig into cleaning it internally.

Brian.
Thanks for the advice! The engine idles pretty rough even after a oil change and getting new plugs about 300 miles ago. I’ve been looking at getting the engine rebuilt and they estimated me 5,200 USD but funds are short for now so I’m looking to keep her running healthy for as long as I can!