Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Cold Climate Use/Alaska/Preventative Measures

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold Climate Use/Alaska/Preventative Measures

Moving to Alaska, Anchorage in part with new job assignment and seeking advice on what mods and optional winterizing equipment I need to consider installing including recommendations of types/manufacturers from experienced or knowledgeable forum members.

Stats indicate the extreme temps during height of winter can reach -60F degrees below 0.

The vehicle I am planning to ship will be my 2005 LR3 HSE (V-8 gas engine) for my personal use. As stated, can and will appreciate any advice on what optional / preventative measures to consider in terms of properly outfitting the vehicle as to ensure reliable use particularly in the harsh winter months. Guidance I've seen from internet searches tell me the following are key items to consider installing or using;

Engine block Heather
Engine Oil Pan heater
Transmission Heater
Battery Blanket/insulator
Remote Engine start device
Use of winter-grade motor oils or other fluids
Snow tires
High quality sheepskin seat covers
Short list of key consumable replacement parts, i.e. wipers, tires, etc.
Any other recommended devices, safety devices, etc.

While the vehicle is presently in top shape and has always been well maintained, I plan to have the vehicle fully prepped to include installation of some of the aforementioned devices before shipping from the continental US to Alaska.

Thanks.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

In a addition to all that, consider that 50/50 premix antifreeze is good down to -34F. 70/30 mix goes down to -84F, you would not want to run that in summer. A radiator muff is handy (something to block air flow, but not cardboard as it turns to mush and gets in the fins of the various rads and coolers.)

Safety devices include food in the truck, can't eat the sheep skin covers. Sleeping bag. Recovery straps. Shovel. Tire chains. Two way radio. Just like back home, but more dangerous. I can walk back from the swamp, and I can kill snakes along the way. But I'm not likely to freeze to death, or encounter a full sized grizz. And gators can't climb trees very good. In other words, off roading in AK can put you in peril if you have not planned for things. Part of that is firearms.

Disconnect the hood alarm switch, no point getting immobilized while having to deal with dead battery. Antifreeze for the wiper fluid (can't use just plain water).

Obviously AK is a big place, and it is not -60F everywhere. Gas line antifreeze would be on the list.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

yeah, i'd be most concerned with surviving the extreme temps, even though the point is to be able to trek through in the vehicle.
those little starts anywhere/ burns anywhere fire products.
thermal survival blanket
first aid and that type stuff.
i went through an anxiety to be prepared stage, just before my first offspring arrived. minus the defibrillator, you can fit everything you need in a small back pack or tackle bag.
just me, but I'd have something to deal with those snow monsters.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Drifting

members, thanks for the input thus far. Any recommendations on suppliers/types of the equipment I mentioned, i.e. block heaters, oil pan heaters, battery blankets, remote starters, etc.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

battery blankets can be had for less than $20 on amazon

Old 09-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You may not want to hear my thoughts, but you should. First, does your 05 have the H.D. option including a CDL t/case and rear locker, if not, you are going to have some serious traction issues. My biggest concern is the fact that you have an 05 which, being the first year has and still have lots of issues, such as failing diffs, t/case failures, terrible bushing issues and lots of electrical issues.
It would be wise to consider taking it into that hard of an invironment. I would suggest if you have any friend up there, you try and get some feed back from them.
Sorry

Old 09-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok my friend, here is the real scoop from someone who knows what he's talking about...Your trucks diff/t-case issues are from not using the correct fluids and not changing then often enough, you cannot use plain old gear oil it MUST be LR3 specific, the t-case has a oil pump inside it and if you use the wrong fluid it will not pump and you burn up the case.
You do NOT need to rear locker, heavy duty package etc. You already have 4x4 and terrain response, you need nothing more than a good set of snow tires.
As for motor oil, full syn 5w-30 and you're good to go.
Have a remote car starter installed, have them program it to automatically start once the temp reaches -5*F and set the run time for 30min.
All good remote car starters have this programmable feature, make damn sure you have it professionally installed.
Run your washer fluid out and buy de-icer washer fluid, its good to -35*F, its all I use, even in the summer, I stock up when it goes on clearance in the spring.
It wont freeze solid, it will turn to slush so no worries there.
Gas does not freeze, the water in the gas tank will, but heres the deal with that, all motor fuels sold in the US have at least 10% ethanol, ethanol sticks to water, so there will be no water in your fuel because it will get removed and burned under normal use, gas line antifreeze is nothing more than....ethanol.
You are not moving to the North Pole, they do have paved roads, snow plows, tow trucks etc in Alaska.
And to be honest, most people leave their cars running 24/7 when it gets that cold.
Your truck came from the factory ready to live its entire live anywhere in the world fresh off the boat.
Have fun and worry less man.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:57 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

use a freeze plug style block heater, I'm sure you can get the factory one, if not they are available after market.
I would not use an oil pan heater, with out flow you will just bake the oil.
I also would not use an electric starter unless it is LR, do a search hundred of post of people who put in electric started and then had wiring issued later. Also what happens if your truck blows a hose or it froze up and your starter kicks on at -5?
you can also buy a after market washer heater if you truck did not come with one.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:17 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by dusty1
yeah, i'd be most concerned with surviving the extreme temps, even though the point is to be able to trek through in the vehicle.
those little starts anywhere/ burns anywhere fire products.
thermal survival blanket
first aid and that type stuff.
i went through an anxiety to be prepared stage, just before my first offspring arrived. minus the defibrillator, you can fit everything you need in a small back pack or tackle bag.
just me, but I'd have something to deal with those snow monsters.

I know it's off-topic, but the Abominable Snowman is hilarious !

@Dusty1...do you keep something in cargo area to deal w/Heat Miser? IIRC, he's Mr. 101. lol

Old 09-13-2013, 08:45 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Ok my friend, here is the real scoop from someone who knows what he's talking about...Your trucks diff/t-case issues are from not using the correct fluids and not changing then often enough, you cannot use plain old gear oil it MUST be LR3 specific, the t-case has a oil pump inside it and if you use the wrong fluid it will not pump and you burn up the case.
You do NOT need to rear locker, heavy duty package etc. You already have 4x4 and terrain response, you need nothing more than a good set of snow tires.
As for motor oil, full syn 5w-30 and you're good to go.
Have a remote car starter installed, have them program it to automatically start once the temp reaches -5*F and set the run time for 30min.
All good remote car starters have this programmable feature, make damn sure you have it professionally installed.
Run your washer fluid out and buy de-icer washer fluid, its good to -35*F, its all I use, even in the summer, I stock up when it goes on clearance in the spring.
It wont freeze solid, it will turn to slush so no worries there.
Gas does not freeze, the water in the gas tank will, but heres the deal with that, all motor fuels sold in the US have at least 10% ethanol, ethanol sticks to water, so there will be no water in your fuel because it will get removed and burned under normal use, gas line antifreeze is nothing more than....ethanol.
You are not moving to the North Pole, they do have paved roads, snow plows, tow trucks etc in Alaska.
And to be honest, most people leave their cars running 24/7 when it gets that cold.
Your truck came from the factory ready to live its entire live anywhere in the world fresh off the boat.
Have fun and worry less man.
Coming from someone who has never owned an 05 LR3, you do need the H.D. package because one of the very weak points of the 05 was it Terrane selection which was very ineffective and really corrected with the 07 model.

Quick Reply: Cold Climate Use/Alaska/Preventative Measures