Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Cold Climate Use/Alaska/Preventative Measures

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013 | 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

@magna defender. i am prepared to beat that evil beast at his own game.

i'm sure this will work

Old 09-13-2013 | 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Then there are these add ons...

Attached Thumbnails Cold Climate Use/Alaska/Preventative Measures-1399282.jpg  
Old 09-13-2013 | 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Lots of people wheel the 05 and 06 LR3 without the HD package. Do I wish I had it? Yes. Is the LR3 terrain response system ten times better than the D2 traction control even without the rear locker? Probably.

Anyway back to the cold, my LR3 has the cold weather package, does yours? It came with heated seats (front and back), windscreen, washer jets, and mirrors.

Last edited by jafir; 09-13-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-13-2013 | 11:25 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by dusty1
@magna defender. i am prepared to beat that evil beast at his own game.

i'm sure this will work
Idk, Dusty1. I think you can add that cap to your extensive list of bad decisions. Not sure it'll work. IIRC, the only ones who could tackle Mr. Heat Miser were Mother Nature (his mother) and Santa Claus (who favored his brother Snow Miser by bringing him lots of winter publicity). It was The Year Without a Santa Claus...classic TV, but no Land Rovers were featured. Lol.

Sorry to get off-topic on this thread...

Old 09-13-2013 | 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Now Santa has a different model Rover....

Attached Thumbnails Cold Climate Use/Alaska/Preventative Measures-santa_landroversleigh.jpg  
Old 09-13-2013 | 09:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Coming from someone who has never owned an 05 LR3, you do need the H.D. package because one of the very weak points of the 05 was it Terrane selection which was very ineffective and really corrected with the 07 model.
Tell you what Scooter, you haven't owned a LR3 either, are you researching your next truck?
No?
I have been, and the LR3 is twice the truck yours ever thought of being, 10 times more reliable, better MPG, more cargo room and better off road even without the electronic rear diff.
Every option ever offered on a car always gets better with the new model, better computer programs and better components so of course the '07 LR3 is better than the '05.
Most of the electrical issues on the LR3 is due to a weak battery, then corrosion in the Terrain Response dial and then water leakage into the underhood fuse box.
So until you know what you're talking about...

Old 09-13-2013 | 09:35 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by drowssap
use a freeze plug style block heater, I'm sure you can get the factory one, if not they are available after market.
I would not use an oil pan heater, with out flow you will just bake the oil.
I also would not use an electric starter unless it is LR, do a search hundred of post of people who put in electric started and then had wiring issued later. Also what happens if your truck blows a hose or it froze up and your starter kicks on at -5?
you can also buy a after market washer heater if you truck did not come with one.
I agree with the freeze plug style block heater.
A oil pan heater will not bake the oil, they dont get that hot and the oil pan on the LR3 is aluminum and hidden by the front diff so the oil pan heater is a no go anyway.
Land Rover does not offer a remote starter, a good quality name brand aftermarket one is what you have to buy, Viper and Bulldog are both good brands, proper installation will not cause any problems, they will need a ignition key for it though as the LR3 has a chipped key.
Why would your truck blow a radiator hose? Especially a '05? Radiator hoses are good for at least 10yrs.
A good remote starter will shut the engine off if there is a problem.

Old 09-13-2013 | 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Well, many of us wish we could go there as well, seems like a nice change of pace.

The specialty fluids in the LR3 drive train might be harder to come by up there, so consider taking some with you. Don't want to have to trade moose hind quarters like on the reality TV shows.

Old 09-13-2013 | 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

thank you, spike. my ears are always open to your knowledge!!!

keep sharing............please.

Old 09-14-2013 | 07:35 AM
Rock Crawling

The best advice you will get is from a professional in Anchorage.
Here's a local shop, It might pay to drop them an email or call...
Far North Rover LLC, In Anchorage Alaska
There is a lot of good info posted on living in cold climate areas
Here's a military one, it's kind of basic but covers the necessities
including guns.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...k9vSxhcoJdQvZg

Here is clip from the LR3 owners manual For cold climate starting.
Cold climates
In very cold climates the oil pressure warning light may take several seconds to extinguish.
Similarly, engine cranking times will also increase. At -25°C (-13°F) the starter motor
may require continuous operation for as long as 30 seconds before the engine will start.
For this reason, ensure that all non-essential electrical equipment is switched off to
maximise the available battery effort for starting.

No matter how prepared you are, you will need to address issues
as they arise. A mechanically sound vehicle is the best starting point.

...and Disco Mike, Please refrain from posting information that is NOT
accurate,correct, or true.

Cheers

Last edited by threalassmikeg; 09-14-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Cold Climate Use/Alaska/Preventative Measures