Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

converting from Air suspension to coil spring, ple help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 03:41 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converting from Air suspension to coil spring, ple help

Hi all, I'm thinking of converting the air suspension on my 01 disco to a coil spring. Any advice on what the disadvantages are? what effect will it have on the truck? will I still be able to maneuver it the way I used to. Any advice will be appreciated from the experienced people. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: converting from Air suspension to coil spring, ple help

Why would you want to remove such a good and comfortable feature???????????????????????

Old 01-11-2009, 10:08 AM
4wd Low

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Why would you want to remove such a good and comfortable feature???????????????????????
Thanks Mike.
Part of what I really want to know is why you call it good and comfortable feature.
This thing is really frustrating, It goes down virtually every time I park the car, sometimes it goes up as soon as I start the truck, and sometime it doesn't. Is it normal for it to go down when I park?
I really need to understand the advantage of the air spring over the coil spring so that I will know what I stand to lose (if any) if I decide to convert to coil spring.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Maybe a more important issue for you to look at is why is it acting up and how come you haven't asked for any help to fix it.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:17 PM
4wd Low

I have before now, i guess i didn't ask correctly. Pls help. guide me how to trouble shoot it. Thanks in anticipation.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Send me your tele number, I'll call you and we can work thru it.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Drifting

To answer your question the work involved is not difficult. Get rid of the air suspension. The coil conversion is a good setup. I have dealt with air suspensions from motorcycles to custom cars and in time note that they all fail due to cracks in the bladder(air bags) or faulty lines.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Just for what it is worth, everything fails some more freuently then others. Yes air bags can crack with time, no big deal, springs and coils drop with age, shocks fail as do bushings.
The fact that your motor cycles and custom cars have had failures has absolutely nothing to do with a Disco's set up that will give you years of good servive and a great ride before needing some maintance.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:24 AM
2nd Gear

i just sent my '99 disco series two to the dealer to fix exactly that problem. i was also thinking of doing the coil spring conversion. on the other hand i like the comfort of the air. i wouldn't mind a more experienced opinion on that myself.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:53 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dapo
Thanks Mike.
Part of what I really want to know is why you call it good and comfortable feature.
This thing is really frustrating, It goes down virtually every time I park the car, sometimes it goes up as soon as I start the truck, and sometime it doesn't. Is it normal for it to go down when I park?
I really need to understand the advantage of the air spring over the coil spring so that I will know what I stand to lose (if any) if I decide to convert to coil spring.
Hi there, Just to give more information and share what i recently discovered. The main advantages of air spring over the coil are:

1. Variable Load-carrying capability
2. adjustable spring rate
3. user-friendly height control
4. low friction action

Source:http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/p...ng%20works.pdf

Last edited by clarkandrew45; 11-16-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply: converting from Air suspension to coil spring, ple help