Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

diff. pegging and diff reassembly

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 04:20 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1morethanyou
i like Dusty's idea haha

looking into them they dont seem to be too bad on price
Be careful as LR Parts are VAT excluded so you need to add 20% VAT unless you can get an export deal minus VAT to the US.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Ashcroft gears FTW. There's a guy on the WNC Rovers FB page today that had his GBR pegged diff break.Broke the weld on the housing and his GBR 4.71 gear. He isn't real happy.
I am OP on there haha, i was asking there if anyone had done it

Old 12-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Be careful as LR Parts are VAT excluded so you need to add 20% VAT unless you can get an export deal minus VAT to the US.
i am hispanic so you can call me a vato- is that how i get the discount? HAHAHAHAHA

i think ill keep it local, probably do the ashroft front and GBR rear

Old 12-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Ashcroft gears FTW. There's a guy on the WNC Rovers FB page today that had his GBR pegged diff break.Broke the weld on the housing and his GBR 4.71 gear. He isn't real happy.
I saw those too. Judging by the overall carnage, I would think lots of shock loading. Stuff will only take so much abuse. I'm not defending the GBR stuff, just saying everything has its limits.

I run Ashcroft 4.75's and hope to have good luck with them. But Corey Rice told me he had a set of Ashcroft greats shear teeth off on him. So who really knows. I typically try to tread lightly and take it easy so hopefully they will last.

Edit:
The other thing that really puzzled me about all his broken stuff is how he actually managed to do it. That was at URE and I was there that weekend and the trails were bone dry. Uwharrie is super easy when it's dry. There really are only 2-3 obstacles that are challenging for a built truck when it's dry. I ran every trail and only had to lock my diffs 2 or 3 times the whole weekend. So how he managed to do this is just puzzling to me.

Last edited by Buddy Lee; 12-06-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I am not sure whether they fit Discoveries but the military spec axles may be the way forward. I know the special forces and SAS used D2's with military spec upgrades. Question is where can you get your hands on this stuff.

These people used to sell everything from a new military spec Landrover axle to a helicopter. I bought many things years ago to refurbish my Series 2A. They've seemed to move on a bit since those days. I remember walking into one huge shed and it was lined up with maybe 500 used Evinrude V8 ex army outboard engines. In another there was thousands of military spec brand new Landrover parts. It was like Aladdins cave

http://www.leavesley-international.c...ment-services/

http://www.leavesley-international.c...nd-supply.html

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 12-07-2014 at 02:00 PM.