Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Disco 2 CB setup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:38 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Exclamation Disco 2 CB setup?

Greetings all, I invested some money into a new CB radio setup for my D2 and Im looking for ideas on mounting the radio. I found these pictures on google and was wondering if anybody can tell me more about it, how it was done, what materials etc? I like the box hes got mounted on the dash. I cant tell ifs its a electrical device or a DIY port for all his gadgets.

Name:  Disco2CBradio2_zps982f5023.png
Views: 436
Size:  508.5 KB

Name:  Disco2CBradio1_zpsdc9621b1.png
Views: 416
Size:  498.8 KB

Old 01-11-2015, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

maybe something like a mud pod, but a different brand or something:

MUD Pod

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 09:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I bought my mudpod from lucky8. I'm installing it in that very location, but using it for extra temperature and oil pressure gauges. Seems like a lot of folks install the cb radio lower down out of the drivers immediate line of sight?

Old 01-11-2015, 09:46 PM
TReK

Also Im looking for a good place on the rear cargo door to mount a Wilson T2000 Trucker 5" antenna. Any ideas? I was thinking if there was a bracket on the market that had holes that lined up with the bolts on the spare tire holder than I could mount my antenna there, but in my search on google, amazon and ebay Ive found almost nothing. I did however find this: PSM1 3/8 CB HAM ANTENNA BODY MOUNT for LAND ROVER DEFENDER 4x4 | eBay

Im not technical with electronics so Im not entirely sure what Im looking at here but could something like this work? Maybe I could drill some holes discretely in the cargo door then fasten this device and feed the cable from the radio through the back.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:53 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
I bought my mudpod from lucky8. I'm installing it in that very location, but using it for extra temperature and oil pressure gauges. Seems like a lot of folks install the cb radio lower down out of the drivers immediate line of sight?

I did not know Lucky8 sold mud pods, ill have to check them out. As for the location, I was tempted to fit my radio either down by my feet or on the backside of the center console BUT I thought about passengers and possibly water entry during water crossings and decided I did not want to risk having water come into the vehicle and destroying the radio. So I want it up high safe from any potential water entry. For future thought Im going to have to relocate my 6 disk cd changer for the same reason.

Now I wonder if there is any nerf like material that can be applied to these pods to give them a more factory clean look to match the interior.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I think you might have bigger problems electronic wise unless you have installed or fabricated a wading package of you were to get that deep.

Regarding the antenna mount, how about to the rear ladder or roof rack?

Old 01-11-2015, 10:09 PM
TReK

I think you might have bigger problems electronic wise unless you have installed or fabricated a wading package of you were to get that deep.

Regarding the antenna mount, how about to the rear ladder or roof rack?

You ever see those pictures of Camel Trophy Disco's driving through water up as high as the hood? I just would not want to chance it.

I dont have a rear ladder at the moment, kick my self in the **** for selling the one that came with my truck..... and installing a 5 foot long antenna atop the roof rack will be a problem for the drive-through, low clearance bridges, car-washes, garages and while off-roading. Probably look pretty stupid while Im cruising down the highway as well. I figure if I can mount it close to the position where the spare tire holder is than that would be a good spot. Just cant figure out how to do it, or what mounts to use. Never even used a drill before. Learn as I go I guess.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ah well now those camel trophy discovery's were D1's with the manual transmission, full wading package, snorkel and TDI motor.
I'm not saying you couldn't get a D2 V8 immersed but there's way more stuff to run into problems with when it gets wet.

There's a guy on here who just posted, trying to get his 04 d2 going after inadvertently getting it deeper into a hole than he expected.

I'm not sure that car washes will work with a rack as big as the safety devices one on the roof. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that we're too tall.
Spare tire carrier or ladder seems like a good idea for location. You could always use an antenna that folds back to the rear of the truck if you did rack mount, although I'm not sure if youd really get any more range from it being higher up in the air. It'd probably be more likely just to get caught up on stuff.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Do you want my ladder? You'd need to repaint/powder coat it but it's yours if your want it? I just bought a spare and need to get around to mounting it.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:41 PM
TReK

Do you want my ladder? You'd need to repaint/powder coat it but it's yours if your want it? I just bought a spare and need to get around to mounting it.
Could you send me some pictures? I really do need one. How much shipped to Somersworth NH
03878?

Quick Reply: Disco 2 CB setup?