Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Discovery 1 Rear Lamp Guards

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

In regard to securing them from people, you may try some less common "security screw heads" like torx, square drive, hex with center pin, or star drive. I am thinking about some for my D2, and will probably replace the factory screws as the D2's uses the factory screws that hold the lights on to hold the guards one.

Some examples here:

http://securityscrew.com/

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 07-04-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by honda50r
I'm out of town and accessing online (I love the mobile version.) But I'll try when I arrive back in town.
bumpity.....

Old 07-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Hey -

So they actually made a set of rear guards for my Disco I? - I have the front brush guard - and on the rear I have holes with no guards - I guess the means the PO removed them or they got "ripped" -

In any case, can any one direct me to where I might find the replacements?

Thanks,
In Peace and Agape,
Trav...

Old 07-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay on the forums. It seems these came factory on quite alot of Rovers. I'd say your best bet is people parting out their Rovers, that's how I found mine.

don't worry wheelgarage; I should have my baby back by Sunday.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Travelor
Hey Hey -

So they actually made a set of rear guards for my Disco I? - I have the front brush guard - and on the rear I have holes with no guards - I guess the means the PO removed them or they got "ripped" -

In any case, can any one direct me to where I might find the replacements?

Thanks,
In Peace and Agape,
Trav...
Ditto with mine.....have that whole that needs to be filled.

I bought a used set by one of the forum members, but wonder how the other side installs on the body.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be back in town Sunday, I'll help you out amigo

Old 07-20-2011, 06:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ebay, but they are not cheap for the D1 or D2 if you buy them new. Search "lamp guard" and "light guard", they are listed sometimes either way.

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 07-20-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:15 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering to install these do I get sheet metal screws or are there hardware kit sold seperately ?

Old 12-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe511
I was wondering to install these do I get sheet metal screws or are there hardware kit sold seperately ?
The stock way to install them is to use a "rivnut". It is a rivet that acts as a nut. This is how they came from the factory. You can buy a rivnut tool for around $100. Or there is a write up on disco web forum about installing a rear ladder and the author uses rivnuts without the tool.

You could also remove the rear interior panels and use bolts and secure with nuts and lock washer from behind. The guy that shows his installed on here actually put 3 bolts, but factory had two rubber stoppers, one on tpo and one on bottom with a single Allen head bolt in the middle with a plastic spacer (same height as the rubber stoppers).

Old 12-28-2013, 05:53 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
The stock way to install them is to use a "rivnut". It is a rivet that acts as a nut. This is how they came from the factory. You can buy a rivnut tool for around $100. Or there is a write up on disco web forum about installing a rear ladder and the author uses rivnuts without the tool.

You could also remove the rear interior panels and use bolts and secure with nuts and lock washer from behind. The guy that shows his installed on here actually put 3 bolts, but factory had two rubber stoppers, one on tpo and one on bottom with a single Allen head bolt in the middle with a plastic spacer (same height as the rubber stoppers).

Thank you a lot

Quick Reply: Discovery 1 Rear Lamp Guards